Working out BTU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace a few radiators but want to make sure that I get the correct sized radiators.

I've looked at various sites all giving me a different way to calculate the BTU all giving different answers. Can any one out there give me a formula which they believe to be correct?

Sponsored Links
I wrote a longer answer but it vanished -tough!
Use a comprehensive method, but you must compare what is says for your other rooms with the sizes of the rads you have in them. No point overdoing a couple of rooms if you're happy with the others

I do it the long way, which is to calculate the area of every surface (including measuring windows and doors), then applying the appropriate factor for the surface material and the temperature difference. Then I add the losses due to air change (volume of room x temperature difference x air changes per hour x factor for air). That gives the heat loss and you can choose the right rad. Often substantially different from the rules of thumb. You can build in refinements such as adjusting the U values for different severity of exposure. It takes about 1 page of A4 paper per room. The tables that the radiator manufacturers produce have to be read with some care, because they may be for a different setup than yours, for example they may be for one pipe connected to the bottom of the rad and the other at the other end at the top (BTOE or 'bottom top opposite end', if I remember correctly) but you probably want BBOE (bottom bottom opposite end), which conventionally requires a rad with 10% more output. You should also check the flow and return temperatures quoted, as condensing boilers should be run at lower temperature for max efficiency.
The 'Which' guide to plumbing & central heating contains worked examples and lists the more common U values. You would be able to borrow it from a library, if you don't want to buy a copy.
You can rework your figures for different assumptions e.g. the room adjacent/above is either heated when the room under consideration is , or it isn't.

I think it looks like a trip to the library or getting someone out to do it for then, and not looking like I'll get it done before the new carpet is put down on saturday. :(

Sponsored Links
My living room is about 45m cubed I have 2 external cavity walls which at the moment are not insulated and a double glazed bay window which covers 3/4 of the width of the house do you think a 6500BTU rad is up to the job of keeping the house warm and not being over kill?

Radiator calculators and sizing charts are on the web.

ChrisR said:
Radiator calculators and sizing charts are on the web.

Indeed I found several rule of thumb kind of examples all of which give different ways and different end results hence why I came here to try and find out which is best to use.

I suppose that if you haven't the time/inclination to do it the long way, and are in a hurry, then you could take the average result from the calculators/charts on the web (excluding any results which are wildly different). Obviously if it's too small you'll be unhappy, whereas if it's too big the TRV will turn it down for you and it's taken space you might have wanted for furniture, etc. But it only takes about an hour to do it the long way....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back