working out the right size steels ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i sent my plans to a steel stockest to quote me for my steels for my project. now i want to order them the steel stockest has come back and asked me to measure the walls being taken down and give him the steel size needed ?

i asked isnt the drawing enought but was told nope as nearly always wrong.

can i ask what you deduct from the wall measurement to get the lenghts of steel needed ?

2 steels meet in the middle of 1 steel to form a capital T so i know one cant run the full length as it notches into the other

any clues pls

Sponsored Links
The drawing is a guide. The engineers calc's should give you a bearing/padstone size as well as connection details.
The rest is up to you (or your builder) and your tape measure. Surely you can measure your own walls?

I did a T-steel on our extension last year. Even though I was on site with a laser measure I added 50mm to all three ends of the steel to give me some wiggle room, and on the basis that two of the three ends would be in a cavity anyway so no big deal.

give him the steel size needed

Has your engineer given you something that looks like 203 x 102 x 23KG... that will be the steel size, so you then need the lengths and the position of the connection point.

Sponsored Links
I did a T-steel on our extension last year. Even though I was on site with a laser measure I added 50mm to all three ends of the steel to give me some wiggle room, and on the basis that two of the three ends would be in a cavity anyway so no big deal.
You don't want steel in a cavity really, you want insulation. You can always cut the ends off so that you can then insulate though.

Having bought a few of the steels for my extension both from the "mismeasure corner" of my local steel place and some miffed builders on eBay I would suggest you measure once, measure twice and a few more times to be sure! One seller was brave enough to admit they'd only measured the gap between the walls!

If a length of steel is a few inches short, it's no big deal to get a couple of short lengths of angle, or a channel section, and bolt them to the web to get sufficient length.
Had to do that a few times for builders who forgot to allow for bearings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back