working with pallets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm looking to build just a basic desk out of old pallets I have and I am looking for some advice on the best way to go about it , I would also like to know of a good way of taking the planks of the pallets without them splitting so that I can sand them down . Also what is a good way of filling the holes left by the nails before I sand them down and what is a good way of putting the planks back on. If I was to re atacht he planks with new nails what is a good way of smoothing out the top of the nail so that u don't have rough parts sticking out the wood . Any advice you could give would be great and thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
throw the pallets away and buy some decent wood, The time it will take to do what you want will more than be saved, At the end of the day, without a lot of prep it will still look like a desk made of old pallets.

I used a table top planer to unify the dimension and select the best timber to use, sometimes you may only get a couple of boards decent enough to use out of one pallet. For assembly I screwed and glued, the design can help hide fixings , I used wood plugs to hide the screws.
Appearance is rustic and dependant on timber.

To dismantle the pallet use leverage to lift the timber and be prepared to cut off damaged sections.Pallets used for moving plasterboard etc are useful as at 2.4m they offer a lot of useful timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back