Timber/Pallets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where is best to purchase wood and pallets to use for carpentry. I have looked at B&Q but their wood seems pretty expensive (as I expected) but as I don't know much about timber I don't really know where else to go. I have looked on ebay for pallets but sadly they don't seem to have any in my area but I am sure if I keep looking some will come up.

I live in Kent so on the off chance anyone lives there and knows a good place to visit :)

Thanks guy

Sponsored Links
If you're looking for pallets, a builder's merchant will probably give you as many as you want. But pallet wood isn't much use for carpentry - it's generally rough and of poor quality.

Cheers
Richard

Many industrial estates have large quantities of unwanted pallets, just ask, I have used them for garden furniture but need a planer and a bit of work to prepare. Long pallets provide suitable timber for garden gates etc.

Example below

in general pallets equal low quality timber off limited use and in general for fairly crude rough quality products never really up to joinery quality :cry:

Sponsored Links
Forget places like the sheds (B and Q) for timber.

Use a timber merchants (but NOT Travis Perkins)

There are some great timber merchants locally to Kent.

If you give me an idea of where you are (just a locality) I can advise.

B

A friend once worked for an engineering firm and some of their work involved imported machinery . It was shipped in on pallets made from all sorts of timbers , oak , beech , maple , popular amongst others and not being euro pallet size were generally scrap afterwards. Ok so not the best quality of timbers , not large sizes and of course crudely nailed together but there was still enough decent timber to allow me to make him some oak benches. It may be an option but allow for a large amount of wastage.

Forget places like the sheds (B and Q) for timber.

Use a timber merchants (but NOT Travis Perkins)

There are some great timber merchants locally to Kent.

If you give me an idea of where you are (just a locality) I can advise.

B

I live near West Malling, I've been told to avoid Travis and Jewson for anything so have discounted both.

You're a bit further out than I anticipated so I doubt if my usual company will deliver to you but take a look at the site below and see what you think price-wise. I would recommend them BUT there are other wood merchants out there so don't necessarily take my recommendation.

Avoid places like Travis and Jewson as they rely heavily on trade customers and account holders so they are too expensive for the DIYer (IMHO anyhow)

http://www.forestrallshop.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

champions at edenbridge may deliver :?: :?:

i use ryall and edwards at outwood and they are really good they charge £6 for delivery :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back