Pallet/Wood wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garden wall which is 4.9m wide and 2.15m high
Some of the paint is coming off due to not painting it properly
I intend to put wood using pallets/scaffolding boards etc to give a contemporary look
Can anyone advise pros/cons of doing so and also things to be mindful of
Do I need to paint the wall behind it a dark colour first or should I just do woodwork to hide wall,that way I'd save on cost of paint
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_112718.jpg
    IMG_20210228_112718.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
How are you going to fit the planks/pallet wood to the wall? Are you going to treat the wood first?

You could make up a few panels with baton to rear ( like fence panels ) then screw to wall , makes maintenance a little easier. You could dye various colours with wood dye and or use different patterns ( herringbone etc).
Decking oil is a relatively cheap treatment .

Sponsored Links
Having done stuff like this in pubs, clubs and bars (mainly, but not always wine box sides), it is always easiest to pin (2nd fix nailer or small panel pins and a rampin) the timbers to a timber substrate, be that a piece of 11mm OSB or even 6mm plywood (but ideally NOT MDF) or at the very least timber battens such as slate laths (2 x 1 rough sawn timber, cheap as chips). The substrate can be fixed to the wall with plugs and screws. I'd advise against trying to use any form of adhesive alone - on smaller pieces it can be prone to dropping off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back