Workshop Insulation. VCL and choices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I will framing out an old precast concrete garage this weekend and am looking to do the best possible job for the minimum cost.

I am thinking of 38x89 CLS as the main studs with 100 think Knauf Omnifit Slab mineral wool insulation.

However, I am going to eventually be installing a shower tray in there for jet washing.

That aside, I am looking at VCL's but don't want to get dragged into paying through the nose for proprietary Celotex PIR insulation nor expensive VCL's nor membranes.

The construction is cold roof.

I intend to use heavy gauge DPM and possibly staple it to the sole plate, head and verticals leaving 150 overlap to ceiling and then doing same on ceiling with 150 overlap down the walls.

Question is do I really need to consider a breather membrane on the cavity side of the studs? The insulation will sit beyond the face of the 'cavity' by about 11mm.

Rather than parging the old concrete panel to panel and panel to column junctions, I am considering flexible sealant inside and out. However, there are holes in some of the panels so I wonder if it is worth going overboard.

To me, the main point is careful detailing internally including sealing between sole plate and floor and head plate and ceiling finish.

I will be uninstalling and old PVCu door. What would be best for sealing the VCL to the PVCu.

Also, if I use ply or OSB as an internal wall finish, would it matter what grade of OSB I use and how best to fix so that fixings do not perforate VCL?

Would I be too anal worrying about whether the screw into the stud is perforating the VCL or should I run a line of sealant down each vertical prior to fixing the internal lining back?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back