workshop/shed power

You have been asking the same question on various forums for over a year.
Eric's aware of two instances on one other forum (UHM). I don't think anyone here is interested in tracking him across the internet, but can you remember, roughly, what sort of advice he's been getting?

Sponsored Links
OK so if the shed CU was already installed, would additional circuits in the shed be notifiable? Just wondering if he could do what I've done in the past, got an electrician to put in the CU and connection back at the house, leaving me to install the final circuits.
That's a $64,000 question, relating to "what is a circuit" (hence "what is a new circuit"), which is often debated. My personal view is that the intent is that only new circuits which originate from the 'origin of the system' or from the 'primary CU/DB' should be notifiable - in which case what you suggest above would, indeed, be possible. If one takes the 'other' view, and uses the literal definition of "a circuit" in Part 2 of BS7671, then one ends up concluding that anything connected via an FCU qualifies as a 'new circuit', hence needs notifying - which, IMO, would be plain daft (and surely wasn't what was 'intended'!

Kind Regards, John

You have been asking the same question on various forums for over a year.
Eric's aware of two instances on one other forum (UHM). I don't think anyone here is interested in tracking him across the internet, but can you remember, roughly, what sort of advice he's been getting?

I can. The first time he was given all the info to safely DIY it (without that prat P nonsense) and the second time he was told to get a sparks in.

Sponsored Links
I can. The first time he was given all the info to safely DIY it (without that prat P nonsense) and the second time he was told to get a sparks in.
OK - that sounds like how it went on UHM - I thought you were aware of other fora.

Was that a typo, or are you one of those who doesn't think that people should have to do electrical work properly?

Can you explain just what is nonsensical about a requirement to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back