WORKTOP DISASTER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I left a bottle of bleach on the top of the worktop in the bathroom, there must have been some bleach on the bottom of the bottle as it has taken the colour out of the back worktop, does any one know how I can replace the colour>??

Sponsored Links
Laminate doesn't mix well with bleach unfortunately, and in this case the stain will be permanent. Is it pure black the worktop? or one of these granite affect types?

I haven't come across anything that could recolour just a section. And other than placing an object to cover it I think the only solution would be to re-coat it completely with something.

You could possibly paint it with either an alkyd resin, polyurethane or epoxide resin paint. I have never done this, but have read it's possible.

Sponsored Links
I did something similar in the kitchen at the back of a worktop (I actually chipped a big chunk off with a drill), and being an artist by profession, I was able to touch in the colour using acrylic paints (the plasticky type you get in tubes from artists shops). I just put a blob of white, a blob of brown and a blob of black on a piece of card, and mixed up a few similar looking shades, and dabbed them on very thinly using a small brush, imitating the pattern and colour of the worktop. You can't see it at all now, however it's right at the back of the worktop, which doesn't get any heavy use, and also isn't in an area with strong light.

Our worktops are are of a matt effect laminated mdf. I'd imagine it'd stand out like a sore thumb on a glossy worktop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back