worktop disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello just found this site , looking for help please about laminate upstand.

I bought 2 worktops one was to house sink and hob. the trader i got to fit wtop cut it to short so he put a piece in between wall and w/top. which i am motified about.

I had a matching upstand ( i supposse my fault in a way just trusting he would do job right ) being an expert !!!

Any way upstand my w/top was just one piece I have a box out which hides water pipes. I also have a glass backsplash from howdens. he persauded me
to run the upstand in one piece behind electric hob. andnot goaround boxout But, my concern is the safety when hob is on and large pans cooking too, will the supstand blister or melts etc. and are there rules to distance.

I have heard there should be a minimum distance. is there anyone Icancall?

I realise I have to buy new w/top but don't have money and he has made mistakes cutting sink out and now to short doesn't reach wall and hes blaming me so I really worried about this now
can any help please not sure what to do.

thank you all.

Sponsored Links
Have you already paid for his 'work'?

Perhaps you could post some photos?

If you have induction hob, from my experience the heat build up is not like a gas hob, and depending on how close it is to the laminate upstand it may not be and issue.

You shouldn't be having to foot the bill for his screw-ups.

I don’t know why it’s your fault? Ask for the reason(s). Glass covering laminate (as I read it) should be ok? As above, have you paid yet?

I bought 2 worktops one was to house sink and hob. the trader i got to fit wtop cut it to short so he put a piece in between wall and w/top. which i am motified about.
My feeling about that is that he cut it short, therefore he should replace it. I've messed up a couple of times installing worktops, many many years ago - but each time I took it on the chin and replaced them myself. If he cut it short, and messed up the sink cut-out, that's his problem, not yours.

Any way upstand my w/top was just one piece I have a box out which hides water pipes. I also have a glass backsplash from howdens. he persauded me
to run the upstand in one piece behind electric hob. andnot goaround boxout But, my concern is the safety when hob is on and large pans cooking too, will the supstand blister or melts etc. and are there rules to distance.
Personally I have never run an upstand behind a hob. Regardless of what type of hob it is, it will get hot and it will be subject to splashes, water, steam, etc - so my personal preference, in a working kitchen, is for stainless steel or glass, simply because they wipe clean, aren't affected by water, steam or heat and they are hygienic. I think I'd be leary of using an upstand behind an electric, ceramic or gas hob simply because I'd be concerned about the affect of high temperatures on it. In any case, if you have glass splashbacks, why on earth would you have upstands as well? One or the other surely? Curious

As to not running the upstand around pipe boxing, that is just plain wrong.

I think your "expert installer" was a chancer.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
^^^^^^^^^^^ This. Having agreed with the above though you will have to fight him to get him to the right thing.

I have heard there should be a minimum distance. is there anyone Icancall?

The fitting instructions for the hob will specify the minimum distances. If you don't have the original manual, you can enter the model number in to a search engine. Or just post the model number here and someone will find it for you.

Without images, I don't see how others can advise you further.

Reactions: CBW
Have you already paid for his 'work'?

Perhaps you could post some photos?

If you have induction hob, from my experience the heat build up is not like a gas hob, and depending on how close it is to the laminate upstand it may not be and issue.

You shouldn't be having to foot the bill for his screw-ups.

Agree, daughter has had two types of upstand , hardwood and laminate, with two different types of electric hob , neither have damage the upstand , (though gas hob would probably cause damage.)

Agree, daughter has had two types of upstand , hardwood and laminate, with two different types of electric hob , neither have damage the upstand , (though gas hob would probably cause damage.)
I think we should agree to differ in this one, then. Commercially available hardwood upstands are generally finished with a 2-pack lacquer which is neither heat resistant, nor fireproof - in addition some solid timbers will change colour or even scorch with prolonged exposure to high temperatures. There have been posts about this very subject, on this forum, in the past.

Laminate splashbacks are made from high pressure laminate - fundamentally a form of phenolic (thermoset) plastic with a fairly high melting point, but they can still scorch if a red hot frying pan is brought into contact with it. It is combustible

Personally, I don't relish having a combustible product, which may well get coated in oils and fats from cooking (depending on how much frying is done) near any potential heat source.

often its not whether its the correct or incorrect material being used it more how lucky you are that the wrong choice hasn't come back to bite you in the bum so to speak
in a commercial or domestic situation you suggest and give correct and accurate material choices with maintenance suggestions for circumstances you can expect
now you can choose other options that can work but not the best option overall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back