Worktop edging strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my worktop installed but now need to do the edging strip, as we had to order it in seperately... It's wider than the depth of the worktop - the guy in the shop said that was normal, but I don't understand how you're supposed to get it to fit. Can someone talk me through what I need to do? And is it something I can attempt myself, or is it easy to mess up?

Sponsored Links
It is normal for it to be too big. Now, there are as many ways of trimming it as there are shades of colour!

My personal method of trimming it, is to cut it fractionally too long, glue it using contact adhesive, then level it with the top of the worktop. The use a file to file the front and bottom edge.

Woody

I kid you not, when we had our kithcen done the very nice man, got out a small iron, and ironed it on.

yes i do mean an iron as in "ironing your clothes" (but obviously it was not a steam iron)

Sponsored Links
Amy - follow UKwoody's advice, however you may want to reduce the lower 5mm approx overhang before filing; sometimes vigorous filing can split the edging. If you've got a steady hand and are confident using a Stanley knife (with a brand new sharp blade) then trim it away so that it is almost level. Then file - don't use a big course (second-cut or bastard) file; we use a 4" smooth hand file (that's what you ask for in the tool shop). Tip: have a very slight overhang (say just about 1mm) at the top as well - it'll give you something to file level with the w/top.

The censor has chopped the correct name of a type of course file!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back