Worktop jig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to using a worktop router jig and just purchased a HIB Topform jig and made a few 90 deg mitre joints.

Something slightly puzzling, the jig makes good joints but when bolted up, consistently leaves a 3mm gap at the back of the left/right section. In other words, once the back worktop is pushed up to the wall there is a 3mm gap between the left or right sections and the back wall.

It's not too much of a problem but I wondered if this is normal/acceptable. I can't imagine that a CNC machined jig, no matter how cheap can be out by this amount. In all other respects it is spot on.

Also, as the jig is slippy melamine onto slippy worktop, I find that I can't guarantee that it won't move slightly whilst routing. I'm using quick-grip type clamps but they do apply a fair amount of pressure. Best to use G clamps and pads?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Gap is almost certainly down to movement during routing, need to be solid ,new clamps, quick action are fine if good quality.

it defo sounds like the jig is moveing. i only ever use G clamps, with plywood packers to avoid damge to the face side.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Knew I'd cause confusion by trying to explain in words so here's a drawing.

Hopefully you can see the offset at the back of the female part. Now, this comes out very consistently at 3mm. The jig doesn't move in the direction that would cause this. The male part is referenced by the dowels against the postformed edge, the female part by dowels against the cut edge and they don't move. The jig only moves in a way that would open or close the join, if you see what I mean.

Maybe I'm being a bit anal about this as the joins are good, don't even need any filler. If you think it shouldn't be happening though, I'll contact the manufacturer.

Thanks again.

Being even more anal - from my days in the kitchen fitting business this was known as a 'butt & scribe joint'

The router cutter and guide bush could be out of sinc or it could be a iffy jig ,compare it with another jig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back