Worried I’ve stupidly released asbestos from ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - appreciate in advance that the only way of knowing for certain is getting it tested but panicking so looking for any reassurance if there is anything to cling to!

Am currently in my elderly parents old farm cottage with our two young kids and my Mum asked if I could help tidy the upstairs bedrooms as she struggles with it these days. Was doing that and noticed what looked a bit of old velcro strip on the ceiling so stupidly went to pull it off thinking it would help. Some of the ceiling peeled away revealing plasterboard underneath. I thought it was a solid ceiling and it wouldn’t happen (am an idiot clearly). No dust seemed to appear but a chunk of very thin paint, plaster, artex came away. Really thin, less than a millimetre in length.

My Mum and Dad have no idea when the ceiling was done, but it is a very old house. It has some cracks elsewhere but otherwise undamaged. It is very spiky and thin so am praying it is non-asbestos textured paint rather than Artex or anything else asbestosy.

Anyway, sorry for very long post but with a young son in the house am very paranoid (he was running around in room at time I was tidying). I have run a hepa filter in the room ever since and am going to use some of the stuff that came off to send away to be tested.

Will try and add a photo if I can try and work out the technology! Thanks for anyone who has read this far and apologies for being such a worrying clown.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpeg
    IMG_1782.jpeg
    396.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1781.jpeg
    IMG_1781.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1780.jpeg
    IMG_1780.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Even if it has any asbestos in it, any exposure will have been inconsequential.

Worry about crossing the road, going up a ladder, or falling down the stairs instead (y)

That’s kind thanks. Just when I googled it afterwards you read so many scare stories! And so hard to tell what it is (guess I’m just so paranoid as it’s my fault rather than just unlucky.) Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored Links
Back