Worx 310w Handy Cut WX424

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did ponder putting this in the Tools Forum but I would imagine this tool is likely to be used mostly by Electricians so I'll ask here!

Does anyone have any views on The Worx Mini Handy cut?

Reviews I have read online are a bit old and most complain about spare blades but the are readily available from a website called gr8spares and most reviews dont go into how and what they use it for.

It's currently on sales at argos for £79.99.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7112898.htm

Any views - good or bad most welcome.

Adam

Sponsored Links
Yes I've been tempted to buy that for the sole use of cutting through the tongue on t&g flooring. They used to sell a cheaper version under the challenge brand. I normally use my Bosch 10.8volt multicutter for this task but it eats the battery's quickly.

What a cute little ladies circular saw, this is a DIY gimmick surely, why not just use your regular circular saw? Invest in a multi tool if you haven't already got one instead.

I normally use my Bosch 10.8volt multicutter for this task but it eats the battery's quickly.
Get a corded one?

Or an 18-24V jigsaw and short blades..

What a cute little ladies circular saw, this is a DIY gimmick surely, why not just use your regular circular saw?
I wonder too, particularly as a 22mm cutting depth is still enough to slice through those pesky water pipes.

Invest in a multi tool if you haven't already got one instead.
There's a post on the tools forum which has details of a company that sells blades, and adapters to fit all the various multitools, so you don't have to buy the makers own, à la Gillette money printing scheme.

Sponsored Links
I think the cutting depth is adjustable and the max depth is 22mm.

What I want it for is to cut a channel in Laminate flooring to lay some track to build a stud wall. I think the thickness of the laminate is approx 10mm so i thought this would be ideal.

Would one of the Multi-tools do this aswell?

Adam

I would have thought so, but I've no experience of them. Try the tools forum?

Fom the comment above it looks like you might be better off with a corded one.

As ever, though good tools aren't cheap, and cheap tools are rarely good. A good used one off eBay would probably be a better buy than a cheap new one.

ok I have opted for a Bosch PMF180E All Rounder.

I have a corded circualr saw already but its a bit bulky.

Axminster had it on offer for £62.95 with free delivery and come with a small selection of blades. It seems to have great reviews on the web and I will give it a try tomorrow.

I have seen the Exaktor saw before however i dont think the brand is big enough to warrant the prices they charge.

I would use the circ saw for cutting the majority of the laminate and the new toy for the bits where it doesnt reach. I have the bosch multi tool and it's the most useful thing I never knew I needed!

Mate the worx mini handy cut is brilliant. Bought one from B&Q for 90 quid a couple of months ago. More than enough power, does a neat tidy job and is easier to control than one of the big ones. Great for lifting floor boards. A sparks tool.

Worx handycut wx424
I bought one a couple of months back ..
not had chance to use it

but it seems to have bolts/screws missing out of the guard (inner gaurd)..the gaurd holds the sole on ...so is relevent

This means that it is only held on, around a small area on the arbor housing, and is less stiff than it could be ...you can physically twist it 10 degrees or so...out of true..with little effort..the sole twists with the guard!
I phoned the UK head office up ..they looked at their stock and all of them have these screws missing...they concluded that they were meant to be this way.

I'm not so sure of that ........the holes are there in the alloy housing .threaded and ready ..the holes are there in the guard countersunk and ready to use .
...and they line up
The only thing is ...if i did put countersunk screws in there ...there is a gap between the guard and gearbox housing meaning that if you tightened the screws up , it would distort........
..if you were to put washers between the housing and guard, through which the screw pass, it would work out just right.

i think this is a design flaw ..they have deliberately left the screws out because of the gap would cause distortion when the screws are tightened..the gap wasn't meant to be there..so now the gap needs precise shimming with ground washers to make it work out just right ..perhaps they thought this was more trouble than it was worth....so deliberately left the screws out .

you have to take the blade off to see the two screw holes ..

have a look ..see what you think, if you have this machine.

I think the countersunk screws and washers in the gap would make this a 100 percent better machine ..

They say my mod would invalidate warranty .......so i will do it when the warranty runs out .
all the best..markj

I have the Worx handy cut and a Bosch pmf180. Both do different jobs. The handy cut is great for plunge cutting and is useful where you can't use a big circular saw. It can be depth limited, so it can miss pipes under the floor.

What I don't like about the handy cut: 1) Finding blades is a nightmare - they are on amazon & gr8spares, but I feel that there's a lack of backup from the high street retailers & Worx. You wouldn't buy a drill if you couldn't buy the drill bits, would you? 2) You can't see the blade on the cut line as the guarding almost completely obscures it. You have to learn to trust it. 3) The thin wood/metal blades don't last any time at all. 4) 1 handed operation is very difficult - it is designed / supposed to be a two handed tool, but now and again it would be handy to be able to do a 1 handed cut.

The PMF180 is wonderful, but blades have an eye-watering cost.

I have the Worx handy cut and a Bosch pmf180. Both do different jobs. The handy cut is great for plunge cutting and is useful where you can't use a big circular saw. It can be depth limited, so it can miss pipes under the floor.

What I don't like about the handy cut: 1) Finding blades is a nightmare - they are on amazon & gr8spares, but I feel that there's a lack of backup from the high street retailers & Worx. You wouldn't buy a drill if you couldn't buy the drill bits, would you? 2) You can't see the blade on the cut line as the guarding almost completely obscures it. You have to learn to trust it. 3) The thin wood/metal blades don't last any time at all. 4) 1 handed operation is very difficult - it is designed / supposed to be a two handed tool, but now and again it would be handy to be able to do a 1 handed cut.

The PMF180 is wonderful, but blades have an eye-watering cost.

for blades for worx ..these peoiple are the main dealers ..I have bought off them ..and had no problems with them.

http://www.gr8spares.co.uk/

all the best.markj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back