Would Bitumen Paint help preserve fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I am building a frame to mount solar panels on and using 100x100 treated fence posts to support it. There will be bolted onto two fence spurs to keep them off the ground.

Would bitumen paint such as the below help prolong the posts around the spurs and bolt holes?
The panels and kit have a 15-20 year life span so would prefer to maintain the posts to hopefully reach this too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/901-Black-Bitumen-Paint-overcoating/dp/B0012PLK4W

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That is really interesting. To help with wood preservation I've had to use concrete spurs as the location is damp all the time. If I used two or three of these on the end of a longer wooden post I'll save a lot of money.

Thanks!

Anyone got first hand experience with them?
If I use them I'll save around £500 (50%!)in build costs. But, if after 5 years or so the posts fail due to rot, I potentially damage a lot.

This is really interesting but nervous about it. As always, the Internet is full of mixed reviews

You can get different species of timber and types of treatment. Some will last a few years, some will last a few decades.

Not sure I'd want to use fence post spurs on something you want to last a long time, imagining solar panels getting pulled about in winter storms.

Another option might be scaffold tube framework?

Not sure I'd want to use fence post spurs on something you want to last a long time, imagining solar panels getting pulled about in winter storms.

This is the concern so I've opted for two to clamp the post between them (tight fit to avoid trying to bend the spur). The spurs will be "paired" North/South so any wind loading should always see one spur under compression. I figured that will be OK?

You could always pour concrete plinths and install these brackets which would keep the posts completely out of the ground.
I looked at those, they don't look very strong or able to withstand lateral loads?

If your structures built with lateral bracing then they don’t need to be laterally strong?
This is true. I was not planning to as I wanted the lowest footprint possible. Might rethink.

How many panels are you fitting , in what configuration and are using the aluminium slotted cross rails
12m span (100mm x 100mm 1.8m posts) spaced 3.6 with 12 panels on in vertical orientation. Dual stringers between the posts.
Not gone Ali rails as I can't find the damned things.
Sort of following this style below.
DSCN1861.jpg

Edit to add: if you're aware of any options which might be better I'm all ears. Very much in "design" phase of this.
There will be two of these, 24 panels in total.

Last edited:
Tbh, that design in it present form is a disaster waiting to happen long term.
For something with a hopefully long lifespan the foundation should be something like concrete pads in the ground to attach the vertical uprights to, also the angle pieces should also extend and fixed to ground.
Have you looked into alloy scaffold tubes?
Gives you an idea of what the proper rails are... https://solarsupply.co.za/shop/sola...olution/inge-x-rail-6-2m-40mm-x-40mm-sr-x6-2/

https://k2-systems.com/en/start

https://www.dragonsbreathsolar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/K2-ground-mounted-system-P-Rack.pdf

Last edited:
if you use concrete spurs to keep the posts out of the ground, the only substantial rot risk will be the upward facing end grain on the top catching rainfall.

you can get little wooden pyramids that last fairly well, or stainless caps that will last longer than you do.

you would do a lot better with posts fore and aft to withstand wind load.

You see through my cunning plan.....

Yes, I had looked at that because it will actually be easier to get past planning (ground-mount systems are only allowed to be max 9m2).

My "rails" are te sides of my unfinished garden "garage".
What I am strugling to get right though is the angle. I need it to be 35 degrees which puts one side really high! (or my maths is crap)

In other news, I am getting better pannels and a different inverter so only require 18 - not 24.

Personally I wouldn’t bothers with sleeves etc you can’t beat digging a two ft hole and a bag of post Crete

I tend to use concrete posts but if I had to use wood the would definitely be treated with
Bitumin even if they are treated posts if connected to spurs. I would also get a scrap bit of dpm and staple it to the bottom of the wood post …when you concrete the spure
I’m make sure there
Is a
Slight fall away from the post from your finished level or you could end up with pooling on top of the post Crete
Jake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back