Would it be possible to get this gas supply thing moved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have what could well be a stupid question:

Would it be possible to get this removed from my living room floor?..
217000_216422_74608_17828749_thumb.jpg

(NB - That is definitely the floor, although for some reason the DIYnot image uploader insists on turning it upside down.)

I'm told that this is some sort of gas supply, from where one of my new house's previous owners had a gas fire. It's rather annoying for me, because (a) I don't have a gas fire, and (b) I'd like to get one of our shelving units pushed up against the wall, but because of this bloody thing, I can't.

So: Is it at all possible to have this moved elsewhere / removed completely?
Would I be best off getting a professional in to do it?
And if so, any idea how much it might cost?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Sponsored Links
Ask a GasSafe registered engineer to remove the supply - after removal a tightness test needs to be completed to ensure no leaks.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Do not attempt it yourself - a gas leak under the floor could be very dangerous.

Ask a GasSafe registered engineer to remove the supply - after removal a tightness test needs to be completed to ensure no leaks.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Do not attempt it yourself - a gas leak under the floor could be very dangerous.
Yeah and don't forget to do a risk assessment...and wear a mask....and some goggles....and some ear defenders.....and wrap the kids in cotton wool whilst your at it too.

:rolleyes:

Sorry - are you suggesting that the op removes a redundant gas supply and doesn't test for leaks?

Can't see anything in my post that suggests over the top h&s approach

Should the op just cut the pipe and stick a stop-end on?

Sponsored Links
Yeah and don't forget to do a risk assessment...and wear a mask....and some goggles....and some ear defenders.....and wrap the kids in cotton wool whilst your at it too.

And when your sarcasm is taken as a pass to DIY the gas, and someone dies, how will you feel? Still smug and sarcastic?

1) Did a risk assessment - suggest calling somebody qualified to undertake the work.

2) Don't think a mask is suitable - full BA set possibly as standard masks are not rated for methane.

3) Goggles - only if rated for anti-flash (burning gas)

4) Ear defenders - good idea to deaden the sound of the explosion

5) Cotton wool -don't be daft, it's flammable - wrap the kids in asbestos instead

The O.P. needed a 'yes' the pipe can be moved and a 'call a plumber'.

Gas isn't dangerous, just the idiots that allow it to escape.

You could train a chimpanzee to solder a stop end onto a gas supply.

Well in that case why didn't you post that as a answer instead of a sarcastic reply?

I think the key word in your last reply is "train"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back