would outline permission aid house/plot sale?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Situation is we have inherited a derelict bungalow and are trying to sell it. We have had interest from developers but two now have made offers then tried to push the price down later saying they won't be able to get permission to build their original plans as there are questions over how far forward they can build in relation to neighboring properties. Neither buyer has convinced us they're actually submitted an application.

It makes sense to me for us to spend a little money applying for outline permission ourselves, but I've never done anything like this so would welcome some advice and peoples opinions.

The plot is about 31m deep, 8m wide at the back, 11m wide at the front, tapering down one side, totalling around 300msq.

I was thinking I would apply for something single storey as all neighboring properties are bungalows, state the total square meterage and show where it would be positioned in relation to the current and neighboring properties. What other information would I need?

The current tiny bungalow is set very far back, as are the neighboring 5 or 6 properties, but then there are a few newer two storey ones built right up to the road.

All opinions gratefully received, even "don't bother" or "read this first". I just don't know where to start!

Sponsored Links
I think the starting block would be to go into your local planning office and see if you can chat this through with an officer, better still ask about the possibility of a site visit to discuss what may be acceptable.

It sounds like you plan to Demolish the existing bungalow, I can only assume that tis is not subject to listed building consent or that it is within a conservation area., also you may consider having the existing building extended, again planning office should readily give you some information regarding this.

also I have pereviously posted here and given out the postcode that allows forum users to look at the problem with the aid of Google earth and streetview....you may have reasons not to do this, but it may also allow for some valid comments regarding this issue.

You will want to know how much you could add to the value by doing this. If you are thinking of an app that removes the existing building and replaces it with a similar one then its probably not worth anything.

The trouble you may have is that a developer may just say that the outline application is not what they want to do, they may even say that this then restricts them and so ask for the price to be lowered! Moral is people.., especially developers... will always look to drop money off the price.

I think that you can go one of two ways. Eithrr sell as is, let the developer do all the legwork (or sell to individual) or investing in a more detailed application which sets down a much more defined development which is more attractive to developers.

Or as a third option i suppose you could always develop the property yourself...

All opinions gratefully received, even "don't bother" or "read this first". I just don't know where to start!
Visit a local Auctioneer / land agent :idea: they will know the potential value / probable planning outcome - get it under the hammer - job done , £ in the bank

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments. The issue we're facing mainly is over the "building line" which I understand dictates how far forward a property can be built. All the adjacent bungalows are set right back along with ours, but because our plot is so narrow the only way to build anything of value is to come forward. That's really the answer I want from planning, will they permit building forward.

maintaining a building line can be a key component of site setting. Though there are other factors that need to be considered such as prominent features from the street (eg - high walls - hedges) as well as building orientation. If pulling your house forward on the site will block light or views to neighbours windows then it will likely not be permitted.

However, there are potentially alternative orientations to consider - such as designing a longer, thinner house that uses the length of the plot rather than one that uses the full width.

Ultimately though, the planners will be able to answer basic questions but bear in mind that a well thought out design can also show planners that prior concerns can be overcome. This is also part of the problem with "outline" applications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back