Interesting permitted development question

31 May 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I have a small bungalow located on a large backland plot in a green belt village. The bungalow is 12m wide x 6.5m deep, making it only 78m2 on plan. The plot is over 2000m2 with fantastic views over open countryside, but the bungalow is just too small even for 2 people. I went to the local planning department with a sketch of how I'd like to extend the property and was basically told that hell would freeze over before I'd get planning permission. Granted the extension would more than double the size, but in a tasteful way that would have little impact on the village. You can't even see the bungalow from any road for instance. Only the sheep and the odd rambler might be offended.

I did some digging and found that there are no covenants limiting my permitted development rights, and the village isn't in a conservation area or an area of outstanding natural beauty etc. And the bungalow sits in the middle of the plot. Since the volume limit was removed from the PD regulations in 2008 I reckon I can more than double the size with 3 single storey extensions without planning permission; one 12m wide x 4m deep at the back and one 6m wide x 6.5m deep at each end. It wouldn't be pretty, but size is more important than looks right now.

Before starting work I reckon I'd need to apply for a lawful development certificate just to cover myself. This leads to my question.

When they see my application for an LDC could the council realise that they've missed a trick and slap an emergency article 4 direction on my property (or even the village) to block me? Would that even be lawful?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Yes, it's in the green belt. But my understanding of the PD regulations is that green belt is not a consideration. Side extensions are not permitted on Article 5(1) land, but I've confirmed that this doesn't apply.

Sponsored Links
"Limited and appropriate" development is permitted in the green belt, but councils will normally have a specific local policy detailing what is acceptable development

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local