Would this retaining wall need a foundation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might seem a daft question, but the wall will be a semi-circle of blocks, radius 3.3m, @1m high, 10m around the circumference.
If I did it in dense concrete blocks on their sides it would be 10 courses high approx, 22 around the circumference so 220 blocks in total at about 20kg apiece- so a solid semicircular wall weighing close to 4.5T.
The ground it is to go on is excavated and is glacial till- no clay/vegetation whatsoever- well sorted and not liable to compress at all so if I dig down a bit(100mm?) and set the first course on a generous bed of concrete to get the radius set and all level to kick it off, when it's been built what would be the chance of it moving be? It won't fall over that's for sure, but don't want it cracking. I would put in weep holes and backfill with gravel but the ground is totally free draining anyway so probably don't even need that...
Any thoughts? :)

Sponsored Links
Yes it will need a foundation.. any cantilevered retaining wall will..
The wall sinking is least of your worries.. what about overturning or slidding?

Sorry ABCwarrior, my reply was with reference to using a 215mm thick wall @ 1m high. I've only just noticed the thread title - I didn't mean to infer you could do without a foundation.

Setting out will be fun :LOL:.

Sponsored Links
We did a 400m long retaining/impact wall recently with no foundation encircling an oval hotrod race track.

Norcon, What was the construction of the retaining wall? was it similar to the one described above. I recently did a gravity wall that was 1500mm high and 900mm wide at the base. So you would be looking at somewhere near 600mm wide for a metre high gravity wall.

Its 1.2 x 0.45m. Not sure on how they backfilled it but I expect its close to the top.
An image here..
http://www.2litrehotrod.com/news2.php?id=146

Next year before racing starts and we'll probably be back in that time for ongoing works.
Note how straight that wall is. Like a gun shot. :mrgreen:

Ta for the replies, yes it would be block on side so 215mm wide, half bonded(stretcher). I don't see any issues with overturning as it's semi-circular, so not a straight wall that would need a cantilevered found to prevent this. The ground has survived a VERY harsh Scottish winter already since excavation last summer(there's some lovely stratification of it, the lower is solid, from halfway up it's some major gravel stuff with a top layer of rotten forest "soil"- so any concerns about slippage relate to the upper half).
BTW- I'm a stonemason to trade(a real one that can dress stone!), but I've not a lot of experience in this type of work, it's more bordering on a mini civil project but I'm appreciative of any input into this, it's one option of three I'm toying with(other two are A/ drystone dyke the rest- 12T of material needed, would need to be hand picked at the local quarry but from what I've seen down there this would be a nightmare. But would look good, permanent etc B/ sleepers set in concrete at 22.5 degrees apart with timber boards behind, done the rough trig involved to make 9 sleepers set in, about 1.2m apart. Concerns over rotting etc but this is the easiest and cheapest option)
£600 dyking, £400ish block, £300 timber...but timber means 9 holes dug (which after fencing the place(180m) meant a ball ache of digging to set strainers etc so just the same with sleepers)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back