Would welcome help with boiler fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
I have a 30 yr-old Ideal E Type RS (35N ) Balanced-flue boiler.
The main burner is not lighting. There is power down to the gas-valve
( this goes to a solenoid, I believe, although it would be a 240V solenoid, whereas I have heard tell of 24V ones? )
The gas-valve 'knob' is grey. ( I dont know the exact gas-valve model, but it has V404 stamped on it ) I have performed the 'turn-on' procedure many times. In the past, it has always worked OK, but now it wont. BTW, the pilot-light IS lit.

I have checked the solenoid for continuity and the coil resistance is 5K. Rated as 240V@20mA, I would expect 12K. Also, I dont hear a 'clunk' from the solenoid when it energises, although maybe that's normal.

Is this a replacement job? Just how complex is it to fit a new valve?
I know you're expected to be competent, but it cant be that tricky to
undo 2 nuts. Does a new valve need 'setting up' or is it a plug-in replacement? ( just asking: it's a nightmare to try and find an honest trader )

Regards
Bruce

Sponsored Links
You need to be an RGI to change the valve. It is not difficult but you need to set the valve correctly with the correct equipment and forty checks afterwards.

The fact that you have asked demonstrates you have neither the knowledge nor the equipment.

Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back