Would you buy a used hospital bed for your home?

Sponsored Links
There is a company that repairs hospital beds in Downham Market Norfolk. I wonder how they are able to make a living when a used bed can be bought for as little as £50.

Don't you mean dragonian?

No draconian is OK...... it equates to :- harsh, severe, strict, extreme, drastic, stringent, tough, swingeing, cruel, brutal, oppressive, ruthless, relentless, summary, punitive, authoritarian, despotic, tyrannical, arbitrary, repressive, iron-fisted.

Only the Matron and Assistant Matron can be fire breathing dragons.

Just asked this question to the other half and we both fall into the maybe category . The side rails as I understand drop down out of the way and I'm not sure of the mattress size issue so can't comment on that aspect. From my limited experience hospital beds seem to me to be higher than "normal" beds so could be of use to older persons or those of limited physical ability. Equally having the bed on wheels can be an advantage . The ability to raise a portion of the bed to allow sitting up or whatever could be useful although as said welding two together would probably lose such things . Personally I'd just push them together or at best use a couple of cable ties. One thing that hospital beds don't normally have is loads of stuff stored underneath and being so open would look a tad untidy if we piled all the stuff we currently have under our regular bed under one.

Sponsored Links
With all respect, people do have "hospital" beds in their home, but usually only because they are in need of the features that one provides, such as height and backrest adjustment.

With respect, the "hospital beds" that people have in their own homes are far removed from what we actually have in hospitals. What people have in their homes which are "similar" in some respects are "Profiliing beds" Most of these have the side rails incorporated into the upright posts at each corner of the bed (which slide up and down in a groove) The beds we use on the wards, have side rails which are attached to the side of the bed and stick out at least 2 or 3 inches from the side of the bed. All true hospital beds have a "Trendelenburg" positioning system (whereby the bed on which the mattress lies can be tilted either toe down or head down.

But if you do go for it, don't forget to hire a hospital cleaner so they can wake you up at 0600 by banging a floor polisher around under the bed, then apologising profusely for waking you up.
I can assure you, hospital cleaners don't start work at 6:00 am in the morning and certainly would not be allowed to "polish" a ward floor. Ward floors are cleaned (as opposed to polished) ;)

I'm wondering when was the last time most of you spent a night in hospital?

'Cos you got some weird & wacky things in your heads about a modern hospitals beds . . . .

I'm wondering when was the last time most of you spent a night in hospital?

'Cos you got some weird & wacky things in your heads about a modern hospitals beds . . . .
Hmmmm the last night I spent in hospital was on Monday night (from 19:00 to 07:30) As a staff nurse, I spend at least 40 hrs a week in hospital (often more) Dork.
We also have what we call Lo-Lo beds which can almost lower right to the floor (about two inches above at the very lowest setting) These don't have side rails however.

Hmmmm the last night I spent in hospital was on Monday night (from 19:00 to 07:30) As a staff nurse, I spend at least 40 hrs a week in hospital (often more) Dork.
We also have what we call Lo-Lo beds which can almost lower right to the floor (about two inches above at the very lowest setting) These don't have side rails however.

2" off the floor?

The whole world knows that's bullshit.

Dork spent a few days after Xmas in a hospital with pneumonia. Dork enjoyed his stay a lot more than the last one which really was horrible. Dork knows that the NHS is broken, but Dork feels that it's the people who work there that broke it . . . not the politicians.

One thing that hospital beds don't normally have is loads of stuff stored underneath and being so open would look a tad untidy if we piled all the stuff we currently have under our regular bed under one.

Chuck it all out, you hoarder!

Back on topic...somewhat...
My wife is a nurse, and it seems countless people over here have hospital beds in their homes. I've even heard her talking about people asking to be put on waiting lists to get one, so they can't be that bad. Then again, the Yanks are a bunch of fa....bulous people....Oh hi, Honey, you're home early. I was just telling everyone how popular those uncomfortable, high load bearing, smooth-rolling on hard floor only, hospital beds are! ;):sneaky:

Are you serious? You think women don't die during childbirth these days? Why would "Outpatients clinics " have hospital beds? (perhaps you mean the day case unit , where people come in for a very minor op and are released the same day?)

Hmmmm , In our hospital, all of the "hospital beds" are fitted with side rails. Just how do you intend welding or bolting these together to make a double bed? In any case, hospital beds are a bit longer than your standard "double bed". Where would you get a mattress to fit this Frankenstein bed?

I've got the two beds earlier today £75 and in the garage at the moment I'm gonna take off the rails on the sides I will join the beds. Got the two good hospital mattresses, rubber coated, quite new may never have been used hopefully? The frame is a beige colour but will repaint it possibly dark brown or purple, a less clinical colour. May even cover the metal bed rails in velvet.

Decided I will have to join the beds in the bedroom to get them in and that means bolting then as I don't want welding splashes in the bedroom.

The over bed tables that came with the beds I'm gonna reaping quite good for having a bedtime glass of wine on or playing cards before bed.

Just hoping the missus will love the new bed. She'd been going on about the old double bed and wanting me to sort a new one. Looks like saved a lot of money and got something long lasting, solid and practical.

My plan is to buy two hospital beds and weld the main frame together to create a double bed for the missus as a surprise

Psychiatric hospital theme? Oh what a fun life.
Don't forget a matching wardrobe to keep your jacket straight, and a bedside table to keep the Prozac on.

Chuck it all out, you hoarder!

Back on topic...somewhat...
My wife is a nurse, and it seems countless people over here have hospital beds in their homes. I've even heard her talking about people asking to be put on waiting lists to get one, so they can't be that bad. Then again, the Yanks are a bunch of fa....bulous people....Oh hi, Honey, you're home early. I was just telling everyone how popular those uncomfortable, high load bearing, smooth-rolling on hard floor only, hospital beds are! ;):sneaky:

Just got the two hospital beds today in my neighbours van. Good mattresses like new, solid frame but will remove the rails on the side I will join the beds. The mechanism will still work when beds are bolted together as its independent of the outer frame. Will not be welding them as don't want to do welding in bedroom!

Mechanism can lift rear of mattress right to 90 degrees for sitting up and also decline entire mattress almost 20 degrees in both directions. Still playing about with it and exploring its features in garage before I dismantle it to take to bedroom and join. The over bed table is good too nice for that bedtime glass of wine or indian takeaway :) Its almost as versatile as the beds they have in first class on airplanes.
Will paint the railings and frame a less clinical colour or cover with velvet.

Just one thing,, concerning the height adjustments, I'm assuming you won't ever have to adjust the heights of the beds? (could be tricky as both beds will have individual height adjustments, same with the trendenburg adjustments (20 degrees in both directions)) In our hospital we use Arjo Huntleigh Enterprise 5000EX beds.
2" off the floor?

The whole world knows that's bullshit.

I assure you Dork, our lo-lo beds go as low as this. Of course this is as low as the metal base that the mattress lies on goes. With a mattress on the height the patient is at is probably about 8 inches, but we also place another mattress on the floor at the side of these beds so if patients do roll out, they only roll onto another mattress. (These are only ever used for patients on one to one care though and at extreme fall risk.

PS instead of blaming the staff for the problems the NHS has, may I suggest the next time you need medical treatment involving hospitalisation, you consider going private... Nuffield Health, Bupa etc could do with patients like you so their consultants can go on their holidays to the Bahamas. Of course this will mean paying for your treatment, but considering your impression of a much maligned service, I'm sure you won't mind paying them £thousands, instead of using the NHS.. (after all you don't want to be a burden do you?)

Last edited:
Would the metal frames of these beds be useful if you enjoy a bit of bondage?

Sponsored Links
Back