Would you buy a Worcester 24i/28i Junior?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings - one to those that have them/work on them, I'm fed up with continually having to repair my no-name italian can't-get-any-parts 10 year old combi.

I'm looking at a 24i junior but have a monsoon shower (not power) and good mains water pressure, I see it's hot water flow rate is less than the 28i would this matter in practice (we only have one shower, so won't ever be two hot taps running at once)?

Also - anything else out there that is reliable, repairable and more affordable - shoudl I look at a Baxi/Valliant etc?

BTW I'm running 5 rads and 1 towel rail in a 2 up 2 down.

Comments appreciated,
Greg.

Sponsored Links
Junior and i-series are the budget version of the CDI, which is the only WB I like.

Baxi stopped being top quality many years ago, and few of any in the industry believe that Vaillant is still as good as it once was.

However, changing your choice to another brand won't get you a much better boiler for the same price though. It simply is a matter of "you get what you pay for" and a good boiler costs good money, as does a good installer.

Worcester boilers are getting a bit pricey for my liking, I've started fitting Ideal Logic +. The 24 will give you 9.9 ltr a minute & the 30 does 12.4.
Price wise you will get the 30 cheaper than the Worcester 24 & the Logic+ comes with a 5 year guarantee.

Sponsored Links
Greetings - one to those that have them/work on them, I'm fed up with continually having to repair my no-name italian can't-get-any-parts 10 year old combi.

At least it made it to 10 years. The WB, if your lucky, might make it past the warranty period.

Yeah you get what you pay for to be honest upgarde to the higher end models and stay away from the cheap boilers , there cheap for a reason

If you are going to do the Worcester install yourself, you will lose the 6 yr warranty accredited installers are dishing out at the moment.

The Vaillant ecoTEC is a much easier boiler to work on when it does go wrong than the i series Worcester. You've only got to look at the PRV or expansion vessel locations if you are in any doubt.

The Worcester CDi range is better built and broadly the equivalent of the Vaillant ecoTEC - but is priced accordingly.

It would be silly to replace a 28 kW boiler with a 24 kW. You need the same or more power.

All 24 kW boilers give out virtually the same amount of hot water. You cannot get something for nothing!

I am intreagued by what make you currently have.

Very often I come across people who think their boiler is unreliable because they are either taken for a ride by their repairer or their repairer is just unable to identify the problems correctly.

Tony

the worcesters are largely trouble free, i fit 100's a year and have a 3% failure rate!
i have only fitted the 24i in flats. i would look at a 28 si if i was you, it gives you control of the hw temps. (cdi if you can stretch to it) min 28i if you have to

they are good boilers, get it installed by an accredited installer and get a 6 yr warranty which is completely quibble free from WB.

The current one is a Protherm 80E (not an 80e, that's different). no idea what kw it is and don't care really, so long as I can run a monsoon shower and 4 rads off it, that's sufficient. So far I have had various faults and successfully fixed each one (PRV leaking, overheat thermostat failed, pump wiring corroded, diverter valve failed, flow switch failed, flue fan switch failed) but I'm just sick of one thing after another. Now I think the heat exchanger is sludged up, it keeps overheating, has trouble igniting due to no signal form the board going to the igniter unless you wiggle the board and will trip out when the CH is on but only once every few days. All of which could be looked at, but like I said it's just one thing after another, on average it has broken every 6 months in the last 7 years.

I have a very good and approved plumber who can power flush and commision the final water/gas connections, otherwise I'll do the donkey work myself (I'm an engineer and LPG trained in the automotive world, so I'm mechanically clued up but have no specific knowledge relating to individual boilers hence the advice and booking my guy to do the final fit (also servicing and certification which is nice to have, I don't with this current one as it's going in the bin soon as I have sorted what to do regarding a replacement).

Greg.

I'm looking at a 24i junior but have a monsoon shower (not power) and good mains water pressure, I see it's hot water flow rate is less than the 28i would this matter in practice (we only have one shower, so won't ever be two hot taps running at once)?

Also - anything else out there that is reliable, repairable and more affordable - shoudl I look at a Baxi/Valliant etc?

Comments appreciated,
Greg.

Forget wb

Get a Intergas combi 28/24 HRE only 4 moving parts and 5yrs parts and labour warranty

Really reliable boiler

ajdgas

The older model Worcester Bosch combis also didn't have a diverter valve or secondary heat exchanger. Can you remember these?

So no new ideas in an Atmos, in terms of number of moving parts.

Comments appreciated,
Greg.

Forget wb

Get a Intergas combi 28/24 HRE only 4 moving parts and 5yrs parts and labour warranty

Really reliable boiler

ajdgas

:eek: Intergas think not!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back