Would you have screed under an upstairs carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renovating house and needed to get under the floorboards upstairs.
Under the carpet is as follows ... underlay, sheet brown paper, fibreboard then what looks like screed sitting on the floorboards.

Could this screed be asbestos insulation? Would you have put this under a carpet upstairs? It looks like last renovated 1970's so bang in the timeframe. Its not tiles (which is a positive I hope), about 1cm thick, very tough (though brittle under hammer) and slight grey colour (turning brown when wet).

Am I worrying about nothing? Reluctant to break it up too much without some guidance. I appreciate you cant get a definitive answer on here so have sent a bit off to be tested just wondered if anyone had any similar experience.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
sounds very unusual to me.....

are you sure you haven't just come across some mis-guided DIY bodge???

remember plumbers and sparkies Never do a very good job of replacing floorboards after they have finished. A previous owner may have been trying to stop squeaks and level up the floor

some photo`s would be good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back