Would you help how to plan the Feed & Vent in "S&qu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old house with plumbing difficult to decipher. My plumber took on a difficult job.
However I need your help to find where should be the Feed & Vent connected from Expansion cistern in my fully vented system boiler.

Replaced with new boiler,DHW tank,Expansion Cistern,and Cold water Tank and put in a "S" plan with two new honeywell two-way valves & new Grundfos pump.

initially the plumber got the pump with shaft vertical. After discussion here I got it changed.

The pump could not be set on level 2 or 3 as I gather it is pumping over and pulling [I heard my Plumber & Gas Installer discussing]. So the set it at 1.

I suspect it is still pulling from the expansion cistern because each morning on my boiler start with bubbling in the expansion cistern.

Also I find one radiator to my bathroom connected directly to HF pipe needs bleeding air daily.

Also when I touch the Feeder & Vent pipes from & to the expansion cistern warm to the top.

I suspect the feeder & vent from the expansion cistern may have to be realigned differently.

Can some one help me with drawing or correction on my photos? View media item 53964 View media item 53963 View media item 53966

Sponsored Links
I would have fitted the cold feed & safety vent pipe (within 150mm of each other) on the 28mm flow pipe from the boiler, before the pump.

Why has the installer used a drain cock instead of a purpose made air vent?

My old house with plumbing difficult to decipher. My plumber took on a difficult job.

The pump could not be set on level 2 or 3 as I gather it is pumping over and pulling [I heard my Plumber & Gas Installer discussing]. ]]
well @ least one of them was Gas Safe - that`s all that matters :idea:

Sponsored Links
You should have got a system boiler then it wouldn't have mattered.

Also I find one radiator to my bathroom connected directly to HF pipe needs bleeding air daily.

I'm not surprised, seeing how it s connected, how old is your plumber?
Is it supposed to be some sort of duel pumped/gravity arrangement?
for starters get him to take out the bypass (its the wrong type anyway) cap off at the bottom tee, rotate the top tee 180 and connect the bathroom rad flow into it
instead of where it is connected at present between the feed and the vent
the bathroom rad will then be always on,(when the boiler is in demand) fitted with lockshields and will also be the bypass

Matt

The installation manual for the boiler should have a diagram on how to pipe a close coupled feed and vent.

At least the pump orientation is now correct!

I'm not surprised, seeing how it s connected, how old is your plumber?
Is it supposed to be some sort of duel pumped/gravity arrangement?
for starters get him to take out the bypass (its the wrong type anyway) cap off at the bottom tee, rotate the top tee 180 and connect the bathroom rad flow into it
instead of where it is connected at present between the feed and the vent
the bathroom rad will then be always on,(when the boiler is in demand) fitted with lockshields and will also be the bypass

Matt
Thank you for your guidence and time matt1e.

"to take out the bypass (its the wrong type anyway) cap off at the bottom tee, rotate the top tee 180 and connect the bathroom rad flow into it"
I understand that bit to tell him.

"when the boiler is in demand) fitted with lockshields and will also be the bypass "
The lockshields between this new connection ? I presume, ? Am I correct?

Would you be kind enough to answer the above?

Does he need to connect the Feed from the Expansion cistern and the Vent to the expnasion cistern on the 28mm HF that is vertically raising in there? as the second post suggests?

Regards

Ok here's a quick alteration via paint, note the question on the right

View media item 53998
I'm off to pub for a pint, if you post the answers then there will be someone along to answer them no doubt

Matt

Get another plumber it's a shambles.
Matt,
Yes the Vent to & the Feed from the expansion/feeder cisterna are marked correctly.

If I could get him do it better because I have already paid a lot of money.

Does he need to realign the Feed and the vent? The second post suggests to put 150mm apart but the Grundfos literature suggests if that is the case "A close coupled cold feed and vent may be fitted in the flow pipe in a horizontal section of pipework, before the pump". Here in the 28mm flow I suspect one do not find a horizontal section with 150mm section!!! to folow the poster 2's recommondation!! The flow pipe 28mm is vertical in my airing cupboard and attaching the Feed & Vent would matter? and work?

Could anybody answer me?
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back