Would you tile a kitchen without underfloor heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm just starting a huge project in an old Victorian house I'm renovating in parts and modernising in others.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions but my first one is...

I'm having quite a large kitchen extension built (30m2), I'd like to have a tiled floor, Porcel-thin tiles to be precise, has anyone or would any recommend have a large tiled floor WITHOUT underfloor heating?

For a couple of reasons underfloor heating is not an option for us, so would love feedback on peoples experience of large tiled kitchens with under heating.

My main concern is will it be too cold in Winter?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There will be 2 or maybe even 3 radiators. My concern 30m2 of cold tiled floor making the rest of the room cold in winter times.

Sponsored Links
As you are having it built if no slab is in place why not put in a wet UFH system? They are not that expensive and are far cheaper to run.

As you are having it built if no slab is in place why not put in a wet UFH system? They are not that expensive and are far cheaper to run.

I've been told that the pipe work will have to run through the walls as the megaflop system is two floor up. That is not an option.

I've been told that the pipe work will have to run through the walls as the megaflop system is two floor up. That is not an option.

Do you not have a feed pipe for the current Radiators (you said your having 3 fitted) although not ideal I have my UFH system on the same run as my rads too no ill effect.

Back to topic (I drifted) I UFH both wet and electric and some rooms just on rads, 90% of my downstairs is tiles i have two zones without UFH and both are tiled (small areas) and its very cold in winter, one is non insulated or should I say suspected no insulation from existing slab and the other is in the new floor small room with a rad and its always cold on the feet.

If you can get UFH in and way or shape do so you will not regret it and if its expensive then you can turn it off where as if its not there your snookered.

Back to topic (I drifted) I UFH both wet and electric and some rooms just on rads, 90% of my downstairs is tiles i have two zones without UFH and both are tiled (small areas) and its very cold in winter, one is non insulated or should I say suspected no insulation from existing slab and the other is in the new floor small room with a rad and its always cold on the feet.

If you can get UFH in and way or shape do so you will not regret it and if its expensive then you can turn it off where as if its not there your snookered.

I feel we are drifting off topic a tad, although I appreciate the feedback I'm only really interested in peoples experience of large tiled areas without underfloor heating.
I will not be having UFH.

Is the house well insulated and is the slab insulated? If not its without doubt going to be a lot cooler in the winter.

My conservatory (4 years old) has only had the UFH on for 2 days at a Christmas when the grandchildren were racing about. I found that it gave me itchy ankles. My tilled kitchen 16 sq.m has tiles and rads, no problems. On the other hand our bathroom on the ground floor is tiled on an old solid floor with rads and when you pad about with bare feet the floor feels cold.
I like the theoretical advantages of UFH, clear walls, even heat distribution. . Its just its use that I can't get on with.
Frank

Ribbon underfloor heating 2mm thick, use a 10mm insulation board underneath, if the walls are insulated it will keep you nice and toasty all year around. been doing it for 14 years, the rules don't allow advertising so you can just google it.

It is different than all other forms of heating, and you will get the haters who have never seen it before dismiss it because it is electric, however we have done this in very large houses and projects and it has been cost effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back