Wrapping ptfe around olives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If using ptfe around an olive i.tighten up then back of the nut to wrap pfte around the olive on the pipe. I only really do it if I have a problem. Could you say wrap pfte around the olive on you finger then place on the pipe and tighten up to help a seal.

Sponsored Links
I've never used anything on a compression fitting.
I just make sure the olive is new, pipe is clean (steel wool) and just tighten it half a turn past hand tight.
Sometimes it takes a little more than half turn, but you can always tighten more, not less if you know what i mean.

I usually use a smear of fernox lsx, if I run out I just wrap the olive by a couple of turns with PTFE.

I do it as more of a fail safe than anything, nothing worse than refilling a system then having to drain it down again because of a leak.

We use compression fitting in high pressure hydraulic applications and the manufactures advise to use a sealant on the ferrules. However this is on stainless and mild steel applications, which isn't as malleable a copper

Sponsored Links
I’ve started using this - it works great for me.

compression fittings can be over tightened, which can make them weep.
I'm not a plumber and worked out how to tighten compression fittings decades ago.
If there are "plumbers" out there over tightening fittings, perhaps they should consider a career change.
I understand that on occasions it would be impossible to remove an existing olive clean everything and restart, but to use anything on olives as a standard is not good.

I usually use a smear of fernox lsx, if I run out I just wrap the olive by a couple of turns with PTFE.

I do it as more of a fail safe than anything, nothing worse than refilling a system then having to drain it down again because of a leak.

We use compression fitting in high pressure hydraulic applications and the manufactures advise to use a sealant on the ferrules. However this is on stainless and mild steel applications, which isn't as malleable a copper
Thanks and do you wrap the olive before you put it in the pipe or after?

New olive shouldnt need anything else added. Old olive left on pipe may need PTFE.

A number of years ago with copper supply problems from Zambia there were efforts to minimise the use of expensive copper. One was to supply most fittings with brass olives.

I like to use copper olives when possible.

But using a little silicone grease on the olive and the nut thread creates more pressure on the olive with less force and I often do that.

I would rarely put any PTFE on any compression fitting as it should not be necessary. But when reusing an old fitting it sometimes helps.

The PTFE ( if used ) is effectively sealing the two contact points:-

Olive to pipe!

and

Olive to fitting!

But it should not really be required on a new fitting ( even with the dreadful "hard" brass olives ).

I did manage to get some PTFE olives from some surplus fittings and they were very good to use. Pity they have not entered the supply chain!

Are you sure this is correct :eek: EC78370D-6565-4D39-BB9C-48585030A0C8.jpeg

I used kalamata... hahaha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back