Wrong adhesive used!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having ceramic floor tiles laid throughout my downstairs by a friend. I bought a ready mixed tile adhesive and grout from Wickes which said in large writing "multipurpose". The kitchen and dining room are now finished and we just have the hall and lounge to go. I went to pick up some more adhesive and noticed that below the large writing it says it is for use with ceramic wall tiles! I now don't know what to do!

I'd say we were well past the stage of trying to get the tiles back up and re-laid and I am really worried that they will start to lift. Can you offer any advice on what I should do or how long it will be before the adhesive starts to break down - I am assuming it is not as strong as floor adhesive?

I have now bought some of the floor tile adhesive but if this is now used the colour won't be a perfect match to the wall tile adhesive and the floor is/will be continuous throughout the house (i.e. no joiners in doorways). Should I just continue with the wall adhesive?

Please help!

Sponsored Links
did you unibond the concrete first and have you used the adhesive as grout, i would never use ready mix on a floor powder mix is much better.if you did not unibond there is a good chance of them lifting, there is an even bigger chance :cry: :cry: if you tiled onto wood soz for the news [/img]

The guy who is doing the tiling has a solution of extra strong PVA which he has coated the floor with! It is a concrete floor and we have used Wickes All Purpose Tile and Grout (obviously not realising that below that it says: for ceramic wall tiles!). Didn't know that ready mixes were not as good as the powder!

ok may not be so bad then we live and learn, hope all goes well and they stay down for you. pva same as unibond, future ref all adhesives/ grouts/ fillers are better in powder form

Sponsored Links
Especially grout - most adhesive and grout is mixed too thick for grout.

In future get powder mix (is there a parrot in here?) and separate grout - also a lot of the premix adhesives etc. are not suitable for porcelain...

The Bal stuff they sell at the likes of topps tiles etc. seems to be good - I had no probs with it anyhow!

Thanks for the advice and for renewing my hope that they won't be lifting any time soon! Perhaps the next time I decide to have some work done I will ask questions first and read the small print!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back