Wrong fuel

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I filled my diseal tank up last night on my 55 reg Seat Alhambra (approx 70 litres).

Problem is I've just emptied a spare can in to it before realising it was petrol! I don't think there was anymore than 4 litres in it.

Does anyone know whether this will be OK or will I have to get the tank drained?

Sponsored Links
Googling suggest you'll probably be alright http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/misfuelling.html

Mstupid_boy.jpg
:p

keep topping up your tank with diesel. Its a small amount so should hopefully be ok. petrol and diesel mix so its a matter of keeping it diluted as possible with diesel. The diesel acts as a lubricant to the pump and related parts. In your car is the PD engine (pumpe duse) Its a hardy lump to be honest so im fairly confident you'll be ok.

Sponsored Links
I would agree with the above, keep topping the tank up and it shouldn't come to any harm.

Peter

If you have got time and the know how to drain some of it out I would give it a go. My local garage charges £150 plus a full tank of fuel to do this. 4 litres out of 70 doesn't seem that bad (6% petrol) but I think if it was me I'd pay my garage rather than take a gamble!

4 litres is not a problem,

the guys that burn veg oil often thin the oil down with petrol in the winter, i was told when i put 30 litres of petrol on top of about 10 litres of diesel in my van (it conked out) that i would need to drain all the fuel, bleed & replace the fuel filter as moisture in the petrol would degrade the filter.

i did as i was told and all was well.

now diesel in a petrol tank is quite fun i'm told!

Depends on the age and type of engine, most IDI engines will run quite happily with quite a high concentration of petrol, but the modern common rail type are much more fussy, much higher injection pressures so more reliant on fuel lubrication also a lot of sensors which it will upset.

Peter

i did this saturday i put £10 unleaded in my van then banged £35 diesel in and it runs ok

Sponsored Links
Back