Wrong hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a window which doesn't close properly. The RHS is fine but at the Top LHS there is a gap when closed.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is that the top of the opening part of the hinge is broken. See photos
20210720_152024.jpg

Broken hinge.

20210720_152015.jpg
Unbroken hinge.

I took the window out and measured the hinges and bought these 8" replacement hinges

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362217973817

But they are not the same
20210720_151203.jpg

The new hinges are slightly longer and have different fixing centres They do seem to be the same width and depth though.

I'd like to replace like with like but I guess the replacement hinges are the closest match I'm likely to get and that the old hinges (at least 23 years old) are not made anymore.

Is this correct or could one of you knowledgeable people steer me in the direction of the 'correct' hinge? I'd rather not start drilling extra holes.

Thanks, Chris.

Attachments

• 20210720_152024(1).jpg
    20210720_152024(1).jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 54
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The old hinges don't look obviously broken from the angles you show.

But the new ones should be fine..... different fixing positions is good in uPVC, or they likely wouldn't grip properly. Slightly longer also will hide existing holes, so you're onto a winner......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back