Wrong Ram

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise here please i have just installed a new ram stick of 1Gb into a Dell Dimension 2400 which originally had a 256mb Ram stick. On starting the machine and going into system it is still showing 256mb ram and not 1GB.
Is this because there is 1GB installed but the computer will only show the total of 256Mb.
Or does this have something to do with 32 bit and 64 bit os.

Should i leave the 1Gb installed will this still make the Pc a lot faster than using the 256Mb ram stick
Advise please>>>>>>>>>>>> :?:

Sponsored Links
You have the wrong type of RAM installed. I'm afraid Dell's are notriously awkward when it comes to RAM compatibility. Try here to find out what you need.

these it seems.

Its ok but thanks for the reply... I cured it i had pulled the 256Mb ram from the PC and replaced the 1Gb back in its place and on restarting i got the 256Mb still showing. I then switched off pulled the !gb out and put this in port2 but also put the 256 Mb in port 1 restarted the machine now reading 1.25GB of ram Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However i think it probably goes like this.. On replacing the ram starting the computer just produces 2 beeps and a blank screen which will sit there until hell freezes over. restart the machine it then boots to dell and then to the microsoft screen. If it is showing 256Mb i would advise shutting the pc down remove the mains plug and press the on/off button for about 5 secs. re plug back in and restart this will then or should show the correct ram.
That is what probably happened in my case and had nothing to do with me swapping the ram stick into another port?????? I don't know anyway its running perfect and much much faster so i am going to leave it.
Thanks for any help in advance(CURED) :D

Sponsored Links
well, I'm glad it's "cured", but be warned, if it's not properly matched, you *may* encounter some odd problems. Just because it shows is the POST (Power on start up) doesn't mean it's gonna work properly, anyhow, enough doomongering.

Back