"Wrong" run on pipework - is it a problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pressure release valve as part of my system and the pipework on the exit side runs up into my loft, then out the fast a board.

Are there real problems with the pipework running up?

I assume it "should" run downwards to benefit from gravity but does it matter? Is it a passive part of the system?

Sponsored Links
All PRV's must connect downwards to a safe visible discharge point or include a tundish where exit not visible.

Which means yours is incorrectly installed.

Once it's discharged the upward run will be left full of water and liable to possible freezing.

Sponsored Links
Are there real problems with the pipework running up?

Apart from what`s been said, it`s a safety pipe,if your boiler pressure reaches over 3bar it will discharge through this pipe to release pressure, you will notice it.

I assume it "should" run downwards to benefit from gravity but does it matter?

Your system is `pumped` gravity doesn`t apply. Running upwards isn`t the greatest of installs, horizontal or downwards is the best practice.

Thanks for the replies.

My reason for asking is that I have an insurance policy with Homeserve and they're refusing to do any work on the system until the pipework is altered.

I was hoping the responses would be that the pipework running upwards isn't really an issue as all it does is release water - water is still released but it's not running in an ideal way.

Homeswerve are doing what insurance companies do, I.E. Looking for a loophole to get out of giving you something back. I would argue that although not good practice, its of no detrement to your system unless it freezes and results in damage to your boiler/system. If say your pump/thermistors/fan etc fails they (in my opinion) should honour the warrenty. Or you could just fix it ;)

The problem I'm trying to resolve is a slow drop on pressure - the engineer they sent says it's the pressure release valve letting-by water.

I'm not sure whether water sitting at the back of the valve has damaged it but they haven't suggested that's why there's an issue, just that the pipework going up is incorrect so the policy is void.

My argument to Homeserve is that it's a passive part of the system and not actually causing a problem on the system. I've asked them to explain what issue is caused and they can't. I reckon I could argue forever and they won't budge.

By running up you are putting a resistance on the outlet of the valve, affectively raising the discharge pressure, from say 3 bar to 4bar depending on the height raised.

It's wrong and potentially dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back