Wrongly discharging downpipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, On a survey recently conducted on my property (for my buyer), the Surveyor has put that the two downpipes are wrongly discharging? From the picture attached I can only say that this is how they both look/are, going into the drain. Can anyone tell me what he is on about please?

Attachments

• 20191028_100017.jpg
    20191028_100017.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 326
Sponsored Links
Are they discharging into foul mains drainage when they should be going to soakaway or storm drain

Thank you for your reply. I have always thought they were surface water drains and however the set up is now, it was built this way, no changes to drains have ever been made to my knowledge.

Surface water drainage occurs when rainwater falls on a property and drains away.

Most rainwater falling on properties drains into public sewers owned by the ten water and sewerage companies in England and Wales. The companies are responsible for removing and processing this rainwater. The companies collect around £1 billion each year to cover the costs of this service. If rainwater drains from your property into a public sewer, you will be charged for surface water drainage through your sewerage bill.

If rainwater does not drain from your property into a public sewer, because you have a soakaway or similar, you may be entitled to a surface water drainage rebate.

Surface water drainage and highways drainage charges Surface water drainage

Surface water drainage occurs when rainwater from your property drains into the sewer. Your company collects and treats this surface water. There is a charge for this service.

You will pay for surface water drainage in your bill in one of three ways:

• a fee in the standing charge
  • a charge based on the rateable value of your property
  • through a charge related to the type of property you live in
If you can prove that the surface rainwater from your property does not drain into the public sewer, you may be entitled to an exemption from future surface water charges. You may also be able to claim a refund for some money you have previously paid for surface water drainage. If you qualify for an exemption you will receive it through a lower charge. The level of rebate can be found in your sewerage company’s charging scheme.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so very much, very informative indeed but if this is what the surveyor is on about why would he raise this as a defect with the property. I mean if this is how the build was done then so be it!??? ?

The only thing I could think is that he wants a straight on the bottom into the grid rather than the ‘shoe’ fitting.

It’s not an issue.

Can you ask the buyer's surveyor what they mean exactly :?:
Thanks solved! Seems the surface water is not going where it should which is why he said "wrongly discharging". Its the way the sewage company have routed it.

Seems the surface water is not going where it should which is why he said "wrongly discharging". Its the way the sewage company have routed it.
I suppose the obvious questions now are where is it going , where should it go and why wasn't it discharged correctly in the first place ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back