What to do with this downpipe…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, haven’t posted on here in a while. Now live in an older house (1906) with problems, but all from poor maintenance under previous owners.

The first problem I want to tackle is the guttering and the right hand side downpipe on the attached picture. The guttering is blocked up in the corner (above the door) which is leading to problems inside, but I can sort that by just getting up there, clearing it out and keeping an eye on.

The problem I can’t find a reasonable solution to is this downpipe. As you can see, it has a 90 degree elbow on the bottom and simply discharges onto the driveway. It takes water from the guttering at the front of the house as well, so the volume of water is fairly high. The left hand downpipe goes into a private sewer (we pay for this service).

What could I do to ensure this second downpipe discharges water into the drain as well?

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    623.7 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
Could you just remove it and adjust the falls to the left one?

Could possibly be too much water depending on roof size

A quick fix, would be to pipe it under that window adjacent to it, sloping down into the corner, then over the door and the lower left window, then discharging into a new hopper in the existing fall pipe on the left. I have no idea whether that would meet regulations, though.

A quick fix, would be to pipe it under that window adjacent to it, sloping down into the corner, then over the door and the lower left window, then discharging into a new hopper in the existing fall pipe on the left. I have no idea whether that would meet regulations, though.

I considered that but wondered about having enough room to create the fall on the pipe. Rather than the hopper, I was going to get one of those T-piece sections.

Sponsored Links
Could you just remove it and adjust the falls to the left one?

Could possibly be too much water depending on roof size

Think it’ll be too much water sadly. There are four roof ‘faces’ which I think would overwhelm it.

Think it’ll be too much water sadly. There are four roof ‘faces’ which I think would overwhelm it.

Most of the flow down fall pipes, follows the perimeter of the pipes, so there is lots of airspace, that's to prevent them becoming easily blocked.

Just a suggestion, do as Harry suggests in #3, but use 80mm pipe below the new hopper.
Doubtless there are other suppliers of such pipe, but one is:

As per standard UK weather it’s peed it down over the weekend, and it was a good opportunity to see how the downpipe going into a ground hopper coped with the volume. It seemed to do absolutely fine making me wonder whether or not I could do away with the second problematic downpipe and adjust the falls on the guttering.

It goes into a hopper which has a constant water level (maybe a trap?). This is one at the back of the house (for the kitchen waste and rear extension roof water).

Can anybody identify this type? I’ve tried searching for it but none of my search engine terms are finding a match. Yes mine needs cleaning up from debris.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back