wrought iron gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just wire brushed my wrought iron fence and gates to get the rust off, and am going to paint with Hammerite smooth. Is there any thing I should do before painting? something to stop kill any remaining rust or some sort of undercoat.

Sponsored Links
Hammerite smooth isn't the same as the original hammerite, it's just like ordinary paint and cleans up in white spirit. Use the other type that needs cellulose thinner and smells like pear drops. If you insist on using the smooth stuff then you'll have to coat the gates with a dedicated metal primer with rust inhibitors.

Thanks for the advice. Am I right in assuming that the best thing to do is paint with one coat of original hammerite ??

Opinions differ. Original hammerite gives a hard shiny coat (that is very difficult to repaint) but not everyone knows that rust will creeep and grow under the Hammerite film.

i prefer a spirit-based preservative primer and ordinary gloss system.

Use Kurust after wire-brushing any existing rust.

Paint will wear off at hinges, bolts, latch etc so try not to paint them white as the rust wil show.

Sponsored Links
Kurust in my opinion is one of the better rust inhibitors. When hammerite is applied you cannot recoat for 4 to 6 weeks as the new coat can activate the first one. Some odinary gloss paints wont stay on hammerite if recoated later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back