Rusting Gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just paid a fortune to have a wrought iron gate made for my garden (two months ago)and now I see it has started to rust where the soldering is...like everywhere where there is a joint. Is this normal? The craftman who made it is not returning my messages....!#$%! The paint was baked on (supposedly).
Would spraying the joints with WD40 or something solve the problem? Or do I need a lawyer?

Sponsored Links
if it is wrought iron it ought to be welded not soldered. Might possibly be brazed (joints will look brassy)

It is probably made of mild steel strip really, not wrought iron.

If it is welded steel you might have had it galvanised before painting. galvanised steel can be warranted against structural corrosion for XX years depending on thickness of the zinc and the weather exposure of your region. Stainless will not rust but is much more expensive and can crack.

generally speaking, iron and steel out of doors will always go rusty so I doubt your supplier would give a warranty against it. Get some corrosion-inhibiting primer and paint it regularly in a dark colour so the rust will not look so bad. you can get rust-killing chemicals at a car or marine accessories dealer, use these on rust patches before painting.

nope you need a wired brush and some hamerite paint,just wire brush the welding and clean and paint,probably flux from weld.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back