Garden Gate Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Just looking for some advice really on how easy or how hard it is to install a garden gate.
I recently had some pikes break into my shed and Lean-To they where looking for my mountain bikes. They didn't break into the house but I am a bit concerned that they might to be honest.

I have attached some photos, I have had a few quotes ranging from about £150 up to about £400.

Oh the width of the space is about 6 foot one guy who looked at it said I would need a gate and some extra bits on the side. As as I guess getting a 6 foot wide gate would be a bit silly?

P.S I am thinking about getting a Wrought Iorn gate what you think?

IMG_20160103_102750.jpg IMG_20160103_102805.jpg IMG_20160103_102924.jpg IMG_20160103_102904.jpg IMG_20160103_102805.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can have a gate installed there.....it will require three posts if its not going to be full width.
One post could be up against the shed, another where the catch needs to be near the steel fence and another to hold a fill in panel where you want the opening to be.
By all means use a wrought iron gate if you want - but make sure its not easy to climb - and a quality padlock is needed to make the gate secure.
However....can't any ne'er do well simply walk around the shed to get in?
I think a security lamp is needed here if that's at all possible.
John :)

Thanks yes that makes sense no they wouldn't be able to walk abound the shed.
IMG_20160103_102904.jpg

There is a communal path around the back of my house that provides rear access to the house for me and a few of my neighbours houses.
In this photo you are standing on the communal path looking down into my garden.

Its is possible I suppose the burglar could climb onto my neighbors shed roof then jump down but I think they would have problems getting back up agian.
I have already installed a webcam which records to the cloud 24/7. I have a light just not installed it yet!

Thanks for help do you think its fairly easy to do if i look on you tube? i mean how hard can it be lol
Paul

If its a communal path, then all the neighbours would need pass keys to the padlock......I guess this would be in order?
Depending how handy you are, you can either make a timber gate or buy a steel one - either way it needs to be in the region of 6'6'' high, maybe 2'9'' wide (typical common sizes).
For posts, 4'' minimum, possibly 6" square, and buried in concrete. The part that is filling in between the gate and the shed could be vertical boards, maybe 6" wide, 1" thick with a small gap in between.
Its a fairly straight forward project, just keep the posts exactly in line and vertical.....assistance most handy!

Sponsored Links
If its a communal path, then all the neighbours would need pass keys to the padlock......I guess this would be in order?
Depending how handy you are, you can either make a timber gate or buy a steel one - either way it needs to be in the region of 6'6'' high, maybe 2'9'' wide (typical common sizes).
For posts, 4'' minimum, possibly 6" square, and buried in concrete. The part that is filling in between the gate and the shed could be vertical boards, maybe 6" wide, 1" thick with a small gap in between.
Its a fairly straight forward project, just keep the posts exactly in line and vertical.....assistance most handy!

There is already a communal metal gate which only the neighbours are supposed to have access too.
Clearly now I don't trust this is safe any more. Hence why I want another gate blocking off access to my garden!
Thanks will give me something to do i may have for it to stop raining though lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back