Wylex NHs40 MCB - is it faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small split load CU in my garage that has become inaccessible due to clutter. There is sufficient cable to move without disconecting anything - but obviously needs to be isolated to work safely.

Its supplied by T+E in conduit from the main house CU and covered by a 40amp MCB.

Over the weekend started to work - so confirmed live. switched off MCB went to confirm dead - now 9.4 volts between line and neutral or line and earth.

Opened CU and checked all the other MCB/RCBO's. The other 40 amp MCB shows similar voltage drop - although this is not connected to any circuit. All the other MCB's RCBO's show no voltage between line and neutral/earth when off.

On removing the unused MCB and bench testing resistance <0.1 Ohm when on and >20Mohm when on. On the 200 Mohm range shows initially 25 Mohm but over 3-5 seconds rises to >200 Mohm.

I have tried to find the impedence of the meter and currently cant locate this info.
The MCB's were all purchased from TLC about 7 years ago when the CU was changed after the previous RCB failed.

Does this mean the 40 amp MCB,s are faulty or are there other tests to check function.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back