X10 AW10U wall switch module, wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, & thanks for reading.
I have just bought an X10 AW10U wall switch module, I bought this one because the others on offer could not control energy saving bulbs and our house is full of em!
However the instructions say that I should connect the L terminal to the LIVE wire (or red)
The black wire to the N (neutral) terminal
& the switched supply to the appliance to the LOAD terminal.

It also says that not many UK houses have a neutral wire in the wall sockets.
What does this mean and how should I go about wiring?

All I have in my wall socket is a red wire, a black wire & the earth wire.

My guess is that red is L. black is LOAD & earth is N.

Please view via link, its the bottom one
www.letsautomate.com/10030.cfm?CFID=768665&CFTOKEN=3b9b089-295bde35-615c-4f1e-b567-f43b6272e66a

Any ideas?

Thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
It is most likely that on the switch cable, red is live feed, black is load (should have a red sleeve) and Earth is Earth. As the X.10 instruction say, most UK houses don't have a neutral at the switch (though this is beginning to change with newer buildings for exactly this reason).

Unfortunately, this means that the applicance switch cannot be used in this location (whilst complying with the IEE regs, at least) unless you can pull the switch wire and replace it with a 3-core +earth to provide a neutral feed from loopin/out at the ceiling rose/JB, or mount the module in a suitable (accessible) enclosure somewhere between the rose and the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back