Xmas Lights.... (That time of year again)....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thaught id get this one in early, my other half wants lights etc putting outside in the garden, on the roof etc etc..... (GREAT)....

Anyways, im after some advise as to best way to wire these up, as i dont have an external socket on the house, i was thinking of doing the following:

Running all wires from the lights into the loft, entering under the roof tiles.

Then pluging all into an extention cable that plugs into a timer plug. Which in turn plugs into a socket in the loft. (This socket is a Spur BTW).

look forward to any advice..... apparently im going shopping this weekend to buy the lights..... so im told.....

Sponsored Links
why not get a weather proof "socket junction box" they are designed for outside use, you can put a 4 way blcok in them , and since most lights have a wall wart these will fit inside the box too.

breezer said:
why not get a weather proof "socket junction box" they are designed for outside use, you can put a 4 way blcok in them , and since most lights have a wall wart these will fit inside the box too.

Sounds like a good idia, but i want to be able to put all the controls in the house, then i dont have to keep getting the ladder out.

Anyone any recomendations for whats best cable ti use to extend the light cables atc?

you cant extend the light cables

well you can, but as most are selv (12 / 24 v) you still need a weatherproof connection and you invalidate the g tee

that is why i suggested the box, that way your 4 way bloock cn still pug in via a time switch

Sponsored Links
you say the socket in the loft is a spur? do you know where it spurs from? (socket directly below in the room below?) you could put a timer in there something like this (i think there is a cheaper mechanical one but i cant find it right now) put in the room below controling the spur. (if it does come from the room below and is in a sensible place etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back