XP Fatal Error C0000021A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All

Please advise , I have an IBM thinkpad latop and now I get a Error C0000021a Fatal Error afetr AVG software moved the winlogon.exe file into the Vault, Now system just boots and Blue screen appears! I do not have th original XP disks as the laptop came pre-loaded. PLease help how can I recover this situation as I have some data that needs recovering! Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The winlogon.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If you have copies elsewhere could be suspect.

I would have thought that if your laptop came pre loaded that there would be a method of recovery i.e. maybe a backup partition on your HD - could you contact your supplier?

Some thing you may want to try.

1. AVG - You should be able to recover the file from the virus vault by clicking on the restore option. It will put the file back in its original place. I would suggest then checking with another virus checker - AVG can report false positives!

2. Try load last known good configuration:
Start your computer.
Keep pressing press the F8 key.
When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Last Known Good Configuration (your most
recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

3. See if you can get a copy of winlogon.exe from another system and install in the C:\Windows\System32 folder

Thanks Tony for the information but it appears that only restoring the whole OS is the solution as the Winlogon.exe differs from XP version to XP version and different Vendors who supply it. many Thanks for all your assistance.

Sorry, having read your post again I realise that you cannot actually get into windows as you are getting a BSOD.

Can you get into safe mode if so you may be able to find a backup directory on your system that may contain the missing/corrupt file.
It may also be possible to run AVG from safe mode to restore the file from the vault (I do not know if this possible as I have not tried)

You are right restoring the OS is probably the fastest and safe way to proceed. Looks like you might have to bite the bullet and shell out for a new copy of XP if there is no backup system on your laptop.

Best of luck

Sponsored Links
If you are wanting to backup some files you may get away with using a bootable copy of Linux on CD, then copy the files to a USB memory stick or a network device.
As for windows, do you have a windows key printed on a label on your PC? Might be you can borrow someones windows disk and use your own key.

Hi Tony
Once again many thanks, system will not go into safe mode and appears AVG has renamed the winlogon.exe file and encrypted it! the only way In found was to re-install the O/S.

Back