XP questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Acting on top advice on here ive just installed XP.....its great and running a treat..

However, two questions about it...

It wont accept my old graphics drivers (ati 128) meaning it wont alow me to install them, not a problem as as such because the clarity on the screen is fine...but, question one...do I need them?....two...does XP have its own graphics?

Next.....with the built in firewall on XP do I need zone alarm?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
it may be the graphics card drivers are not xp compatable, you could try the makers website for new ones but if you are happy with what you see leave it.

as for the fire wall, i am not too sure but i think most do not use the xp one, keep zone alarm (i have got xp & zone alarm, work fine,well 99.95 of the time)

Zampa said:
with the built in firewall on XP do I need zone alarm?
The XP version only monitors incoming traffic - ZA monitors outgoing as well. In real terms, if you have up to date anti-virus software running - XP's is OK - but for peace of mind ZA may be preferable.

Homer

put it this way, xp sp2 firewall has not been comprimised by crackers yet.

providing you are cautious of what you allow through f'wall, should be no problem.

With regards to graphics card drivers, they are needed when playing DVD's, Games, or using any hardware accelerating application

Sponsored Links
budgie69 said:

providing you are cautious of what you allow through f'wall, should be no problem.

With regards to graphics card drivers, they are needed when playing DVD's, Games, or using any hardware accelerating application

Thanks for that...but what is that please?..examples?

And also, would a graphics card benefit me when using google earth?

Thanks

Zampa, Simple answer to the graphics question...YES..up to a certain point, the bteter your graphics card, the btter your experience of Google Earth will be..

XP should have drivers fo an ATI 128 card built in, try windows update and check for the HARDWARE updates as this will be were they are for the card...

Thanks for that spark...looked for up dates...no joy,,,tried re installing but only certain parts of the menu on the instalation disc appear...'read me' and 'exit install'...

But cecking the google earth site it mentions that ati rage 128 software isnt supported, the graphic card and software is arounf 5 years old now...so in computer years.... thats about 70 years....

It does really hack me off how things become so outdated so quickly...progress is one thing, taking the p*ss is another matter!

Wouldnt it be sooo cool of microsoft when they bring out their next version of windows to make nearly every bit of soft and hardware on the market incompatable with it...they would make a fortune from peopel haivng to replace their computers.

Looks like some new graphics then...any suggestions on something reasonable, cheap and sufficiant..I dont use the comp for gaming by the way.

Zampa said:
budgie69 said:

Thanks for that...but what is that please?..examples?

And also, would a graphics card benefit me when using google earth?

Thanks

sorry missed your post, hope you are now sorted out,

I would download these drivers here and try anyway - it doesn't say whether google earth is specifically compatible with your rage 128 or not! And besides, you may not have full colours activated (32bit) at the mo and no doubt you will come accross a problem in the future and not associate with incorrect gfx card drivers....

Yes, it's good to have the latest drivers. The M$ offerings are always best updated with the Vendors own.

Oh and IMHO ATI cards are pants.

olly_k said:
I would download these drivers here and try anyway - it doesn't say whether google earth is specifically compatible with your rage 128 or not! And besides, you may not have full colours activated (32bit) at the mo and no doubt you will come accross a problem in the future and not associate with incorrect gfx card drivers....

Read this on the site and assumed it meant mine......

* The following ATI cards are not supported: ATI Rage Mobility, ATI Xpert, ATI 3D Rage.

Just downloaded te drivers from the ati site...thanks for all the help everyone....slowly getting my head around everything now...must say this o/s is far better than M.E ...wish i had changed yonks ago now.

Hopefully these people may be of some use to you buffs out there.. I have found them the cheapest around this way..OEM £53+VAT...not bad eh...

http://www.easynetdistribution.co.uk/

Cheers again....

Sponsored Links
Back