XP ?

Sponsored Links
If you mean replacing XP Home Edition with XP Professional then it is against the law unless you have a valid XP Professional license.

What's in the pro version you think you'll need ?

i am not saying you cant , i am saying i dont think you can.

i have never seen an upgrade from xp to xp pro disc, i would have thought if you have xp, then install xp pro, it will either become a duel boot os or format the hd.

I only say this becuse i tried upgrading from win 98 to xp pro once and it installed on a spare partition.

i formated all drives and reinsatlled xp pro.

may be wrong with the first bit though

I agree I think it's a format and reload job if you wanted to do it....the two versions were aimed at very different market places, i.e. home and business, so there would be no need to produce any upgrade.

Sponsored Links
If you have an XP Pro CD and code, you can install over the top. As part of the Install it gives you the option to either install full new, or Upgrade (Recommended).

Id still make sure any docs / music etc you have burned to a cd etc before upgrading, just in case.

norbert44 said:
markie said:
Is converting your PC ( WINDOWS XP ) into windows XP pro against the law. ?

What benefit would you have with XP Pro...?

Depends what kind of user you are, and what spec the computer is your runnin git on....

A typical home user would get little benefit from upgrading to Pro.

Got this from another website - gives you an insight into which version has what - only you can decide if the increased networking and security features Pro Edition has is suited to your needs.

Homer

XP Professional and XP Home Edition share the same kernel (the "guts" of the operating system), and this kernel is based on the Windows 2000 operating system. The differences between them are in the level of security they provide, networking capabilities, and advanced features.

For business users, Windows XP Professional is very similar to Windows 2000 in its feature set. XP Professional supports multiple processors, multiple monitors (up to 9), Group Policy. Encrypting File System, Dynamic Disks, IIS, a built in backup program, and advanced networking capabilities (such as IPSec.)

All of these features are missing from XP Home Edition.

Another important distinction between the two versions is that XP Home Edition cannot join a Windows NT/2000/2003 domain. If you wish to network with other PC's in your home or office, you must be part of a workgroup.

If you're a "power user" purchasing Windows XP for your personal workstation, Windows XP Professional is a better choice than Home Edition, if you can afford the price difference. Windows XP Professional is also more secure than Home Edition, which is an important consideration for users with a full time high speed internet connection.

wanleg said:
If you mean replacing XP Home Edition with XP Professional then it is against the law unless you have a valid XP Professional license.

What's in the pro version you think you'll need ?
This is the only correct, and relevant, reply so far - the rest have been guesses, or vague, or meaningless, or just plain wrong.

If you have an XP Pro CD, and its license permits you to install it (bearing in mind that there are different licenses, some of which allow one CD to be used on many machines), then it will install XP over the top of XP HE.

And FYI markie, it's prudent to take a backup copy of essential data before any Windows installation.

As long as you have an XP Pro licence, then yes you can do it. You will probably need to repatch to SP2 plus additional hotfixes though.

Eddie M said:
As long as you have an XP Pro licence, then yes you can do it. You will probably need to repatch to SP2 plus additional hotfixes though.
There's no probably about it. ;)

[code:1]IF the XP Pro CD doesn't already include SP2
THEN
you won't have SP2 installed after the upgrade
ELSE
you will
ENDIF[/code:1]

Softus said:
Eddie M said:
There's no probably about it. ;)

[code:1]IF the XP Pro CD doesn't already include SP2
THEN
you won't have SP2 installed after the upgrade
ELSE
you will
ENDIF[/code:1]

VB - Girl !!

Eddie M said:
VB - Girl !!
Just some generic PDL really, but perhaps you can tell me why I've suddenly got these bumps under my T-shirt?

images

Sponsored Links
Back