Y plan or S plan for unvented cylinder and boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old combi boiler at the moment so as far as I understand it I don't have a Y or S plan system.

I'm looking to have a Vaillant unvented cylinder and system boiler installed and wondered which was best Y or S plan? What are the pros and cons? Are there alternatives?

What does the Vaillant VR 65 control centre contribute? Is this just a box containing all the wiring?

Sponsored Links
I have an old combi boiler at the moment so as far as I understand it I don't have a Y or S plan system.

I'm looking to have a Vaillant unvented cylinder and system boiler installed and wondered which was best Y or S plan? What are the pros and cons? Are there alternatives?

What does the Vaillant VR 65 control centre contribute? Is this just a box containing all the wiring?

How many hot water outlets do you have?
Do you really need this system or do you just want it?
If you need/want it go with the Y as less to go wrong in the long term!
Where in Yorks are you?

It's a system that has been recommended to me and I'm just trying to understand a little more about it. The equipment does look very good.

From reading articles I got the impression that with the Y plan only hot water OR heating is available at any time, not both, which seems to be a restriction to me or am I misunderstanding.

Sponsored Links
It's a system that has been recommended to me and I'm just trying to understand a little more about it. The equipment does look very good.

From reading articles I got the impression that with the Y plan only hot water OR heating is available at any time, not both, which seems to be a restriction to me or am I misunderstanding.

You are misunderstood
Y plan can do both at the same time just as an S Plan can however you only ever have one valve to go wrong instead of two.

Personally i wire most things now days as S plan,so you can add as many zones as you like,for instance up stairs down stairs the conservatory and hot water,add as many as you like to it as well

Y Plan obviously is not as versatile,but the choice is yours

You need a two port valve for the hot water side on an indirect unvented cylinder so you might as well go for the S plan.

Y plan is suitable up to 26kw only.

We always fit S plan's now regardless, easier to wire, simpler in design.

As said though, the unvented cylinder needs to have its own zone valve, so you would be better off using an S plan.

Also, you could use your existing combi to run an S plan, no need for a replacement boiler if the existing is sound.

Sam

Y plan is suitable up to 26kw only.

We always fit S plan's now regardless, easier to wire, simpler in design.

As said though, the unvented cylinder needs to have its own zone valve, so you would be better off using an S plan.

Also, you could use your existing combi to run an S plan, no need for a replacement boiler if the existing is sound.

Sam

Exact system i have at home.
I have a Baxi Duo Tec running a cylinder.

even if you do decide to fit a y plan valve you still need to fit a two port valve on the flow to the cylinder as a fail safe G3 regulations this helps to prevent the cylinder taking the side of your house out when it explodes .....fit an s plan

The boiler will be 30kW or 37kW, so that and the fact that the cylinder needs its own zone valve would suggest the Y plan is out, so I wonder why the installer mentioned the Y plan!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back