Y-Plan valve - knocking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed my CH/HW system around 18yrs ago and it's been pretty trouble free. Recently, at the point the HW switches in, there is sometimes a regular knocking noise (around every half second), which continues until I turn the HW off at the controller. If I turn it straight back on the knocking noise does not reoccur. The noise is fairly light and appears to be coming from the Y-Plan valve. I've replaced a couple of Syncron motors over the 18yrs due to humming, but I've not heard this knocking noise before.

Does anyone know if it's likely to be the motor again, or possibly the valve itself?

Sponsored Links
synchron gear could be slipping on the toothed spindle plate.

Nickso,
Are you thinking that that might make the valve inside keep bumping, or are you suggesting the noise is the gear slipping?

im saying the noise could be the gear slipping.

if the valve is constantly moving back and forth and hitting one of the microswitches on and off all the time its the valve electrics at fault i believe.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though it would be worth the replacing the motor again and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back