Yacht Varnish not Drying

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I have a pine desk which I have had for 20 years or so. It was flat pack but I assumed it had some kind of matt varnish as it was not shiny. Over the years I realised it must have been bare wood as parts would get grubby looking. I finally got round to dismantling it, sanding off stains etc and applying varnish. I live in Croatia now but am from UK. I found an old tin of Ronseal polyurethane varnish that contained enough for 1 coat. For additional coats I had to buy a locally available product, Kemolux Lak za Čamce (yacht varnish). This is an oil finish based on alkyd resins and uses white spirit for thinners. The Ronseal was fully dry before I applied a coat of the Kemolux but 4 days later the surfaces are still tacky. Do you think this is due to a reaction between the different varnishes? I have used the Kemolux product before on oak window frames and other items without any problem. The Ronseal stuff was for interior use so I didn't find a job for it until I did the desk.

Sponsored Links
Is it really a varnish or is it an oil like Osmo Oil? I have known Osmo to be tacky for several days when used in cold workshops but that is clearly not a problem at this time of the year? I am wondering if the varnish needed stirring. If you didn't stir it, then I would recommend that you do and apply one final coat. Alternatively, point a fan at the desk and leave it running for a few hours.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did stir it for about 2 minutes. Since I posted the question I tried applying an extra coat of the yacht varnish to one of the pine internal doors which had already been varnished with this product. Again it has stayed tacky so I now think it is just a bad batch. This is the third tin of this product I've used and it always dried OK before.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did stir it for about 2 minutes. Since I posted the question I tried applying an extra coat of the yacht varnish to one of the pine internal doors which had already been varnished with this product. Again it has stayed tacky so I now think it is just a bad batch. This is the third tin of this product I've used and it always dried OK before.

You may well be correct.

For what it is worth, I use Terebene oxidising agent in oil based paints to speed up the curing time. I it can be used in oil based varnish. Although it is purple, the amount used is not enough to change the colour.

It does not change the application process, you just apply the paint or varnish as you would ordinarily.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_drying_agent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back