Yale 3 star barrel lock is pants!

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a 3 star Yale barrel lock.

2 major problems with it:

- It's got a flat end
- It's horizontal

The flat end means you have to PRECISELY put the key into the lock.
Heck... I'm struggling during the day!!! Night time... I'm in front of the door for like a minute... I need to use my finger to guide it in.

It's blooming horizontal! I didn't think it would be a problem when I looked at online.
It's like using a knife and fork on alternate hands.

Am I the only one that thinks it's pants??
Am I missing something?
I'm thinking of sending back and just buying a 1 star lock.

Just wanted to hear from others.

Am I the only mad one? If so... then maybe I'll stick with it and see how it goes?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's blooming horizontal! I didn't think it would be a problem when I looked at online.
It's like using a knife and fork on alternate hands
I have Avocet ABS, with a horizontal keyway. I don't remember it ever being an issue - it certainly isn't after six years of use!
Although perhaps I'm more used to that, given the flat, rectangular shape and horizontal keyway of my car keys?

I'd get a grinder out and cut an angle on the barrel and key if I thought it'd help. Also perhaps get one of those key ring torches if it's a struggle to see it in the dark

The flat end means you have to PRECISELY put the key into the lock.
This type?

BE6FED65-E569-454A-A6A8-2A37E4EB6D53.jpeg

I felt the same when I bought one of those too and I was very disappointed - I had to use both hands to guide the key into the keyhole but don't worry, it does wear in after a few weeks and it’s no different from any other key. Being horizontal doesn't bother me.

Sponsored Links
Never had that issue with my Yale key in my AV2 lock, the AV locks require a chunky key as its the turning of the key that retracts the hooks, a simple yale lock type key as we knew them years ago would just bend and snap eventually, I've recently upgraded to an Ultion and a bit trickier to get in but it'll wear in in sure and be fine

Thanks for the replies
@Mottie yes, that's the key we've got.
BUT... how did you get the middle tip bit at the top??
That helps, you roughly push into the hole and the key just glides in being pushed into the right place.

@robinbanks it's brand new. I spent £50 getting with 3 extra keys. I don't fancy doing any grinding. :(

I think I'll just return tmrw.
It's so annoying. I HAVE to get aligned EXACTLY before the damn thing goes in.

Thanks for the replies
@Mottie yes, that's the key we've got.
BUT... how did you get the middle tip bit at the top??
That helps, you roughly push into the hole and the key just glides in being pushed into the right place.

@robinbanks it's brand new. I spent £50 getting with 3 extra keys. I don't fancy doing any grinding. :(

I think I'll just return tmrw.
It's so annoying. I HAVE to get aligned EXACTLY before the damn thing goes in.
Honestly, persevere with it. I practically had a point on the edge of my key and I thought it must be a reject or something but it’s pîss easy now. I had an unused spare key and I brought that into play to smooth it off. Even after the originals were sliding in like a honeymoon cock, the spare took a week or so to wear in.

Aiee, I think for that money I'd be looking at a thumbprint lock so I just have to rub a finger to open the door; I forget where I put my keys more often than I do my fingers.. :)

I have Avocet ABS, with a horizontal keyway. I don't remember it ever being an issue - it certainly isn't after six years of use!
Although perhaps I'm more used to that, given the flat, rectangular shape and horizontal keyway of my car keys?
Had a new door fitted about a month ago and it has an Avocet lock. It did seem strange for the first week or so, putting the key horizontal, but now it's second nature and key slides in easily.

Had a new door fitted about a month ago and it has an Avocet lock. It did seem strange for the first week or so, putting the key horizontal, but now it's second nature and key slides in easily.
The horizontal is one thing. It's a small annoyance.

The biggest problem is needing to put the key in *precisely*.
The flat head is the biggest problem.
If the flat head was angled on both sides, so you had a triangle, then one could insert the triangle into the hole and then you would simply have to just get part of the triangle into the hole - then the rest of the key gets pushed into place.
This is the biggest problem.

As I said: I'm flipping struggling during the day!
At night it's 10x worse.

Maybe I'll give it a few more days.
I've sent an email to the retailer though just now.

EDIT: I've just looked at the Avocet. Never heard of it before. Is it better than the Yale??
One BIG difference... look at the Avocet key. Can you you see the chisel shaped end??
This means you need to just roughly get the key into place and it just pushed in.
Yale: I don't think you can do this. I think the grooves start at the front of the lock (I could be wrong).
Such bad design. But maybe it's just me. No one else here is moaning like an old man like me. LOL.

Last edited:
Avocet looks awesome. Saw first few min of the video as well.

Yale, just had another look. The tip is not completely flat - but the problem still remains.
There are groves into which you need to fit the key in. The grooves need to be *exactly* aligned.

From the little I can see of the Avocet, I think I'm correct in saying that it doesn't have the teeth grooves starting right at the front of the key.
So... doesn't suffer from the same problem. (Just guessing.)

See pic below:

rpzKozO.jpg

I'm sure I'm the single mad person complaining about it though as said before. No one else has a problem!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back