Yale alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've had a look at existing threads but they all seem quite old. I'm looking to install a wireless alarm myself and like the look of the Yale systems, specifically the Smart Alarm systems.

I'm a bit confused though, because I've found two alarms both calls SmartHome:

http://www.map-security.com/yale-smart-alarm-kit-complete-with-standard-dialer-ena-kit1.html

and

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yal...tviln-v6wCzJa88JbplYZKyM07j2kz4uFoaAp4U8P8HAQ

Are these basically the same thing? Are they both grade 2 alarms? Yale only have the second one on their website, did it replace the first one? I've emailed Yale but they've not responded...

Any advice on these systems (or recommendations on anything else I should look at) would be appreciated. I'm after a wireless installation and a system that will notify me via a phone call/text/app notification if activated. Would also like to control via an app.

Thanks

Satuok

Sponsored Links
Map security said:
As a newer replacement to this model we recommend the Pyronix Enforcer Wireless Alarm System - PSTN-KIT-3

Wireless should be your last option if you want a reliable alarm that cannot be knocked out of action by a criminal before he or she breaks in to the house.

Join your neighbourhood watch and browse the incident reports.

If your area is anything like anywhere I have ever lived, the burglars will mostly be semi-literate teen crackheads who will kick a door down or climb through a window. The lucid ones will avoid homes with alarms. The nutters will carry on despite the sirens screaming.

If they had an electronic device capable of jamming an alarm, they would sell it or break it. Or maybe try to eat it.

It is rumoured that there is a much better class of burglar in Bedfordshire. "Raffles, Gentleman Thief" perhaps. I doubt it, though.

Spend the money you save on better bolts and locks.

John always forgets that Yale themselves suggest turning of the jamming detection in the bell box if there are too many false alarms due to interference.

Sponsored Links
My car is fitted with airbags in case I should have an accident.

Perhaps Bernard thinks that the presence of precautions indicates that my car is more likely to be involved in accident than a car that is not so fitted.

These forums attract posts by householders with various sorts of DIY problem.
See how many you can find from ordinary householders, in ordinary domestic houses in ordinary residential streets, who have been burgled by people using these rumoured jamming devices. Apart from the people burgled by Bernard and his ilk, you will not find any.

I must say, I wasn't overly concerned about jamming. As I understand it that problem has been all but done away with by the use of a new frequency, although I may have got that wrong. Either way, if someone's going to the effort to jam your wireless alarm, they're getting in regardless. I'm interested in keeping out the crackheads and other unsavoury characters, not professional burglars.

So, any other advice re. my original question?! Why would the Pyronix be recommended over the Yale?

Anything that is using one way communication should be avoided. You can set them with a door or window open as the panel cannot ask the sensor for the state of the door / window at the time the alarm is set. Some of them can lose a sensor without the panel being aware that the sensor has been removed from the building. ( a door sensor went into the skip with the door frame and the alarm could still be set ).

Systems using two way communications can check the state of every sensor when the alarm is being set and will tell the user if any protected door or window is open. These are more expensive as every sensor has to have a receiver as well as a transmitter but they are far more reliable because a sensor will repeat alarm messages if they are not acknowledged by the panel.

Usin 868.xx MHz has, for the time being, reduced the problem of un-intentional blocking but as more and more equipment is bought in use the problem will develop. It has not reduced the problems of intentional jamming.

Pyronix is probably using two communication.

Apart from the people burgled by Bernard and his ilk, you will not find any.

Once again unable to scientifically defend his favoured alarm system JohnD reverts to personal attacks. If anyone is assisting burglars it is JohnD by his denial of the ability to burglars to defeat an alarm system before they quietly make entry and remove high value items whose sale pays for the jammer that facilitated the undetected entry. The jammer can then be re-used many times.

using these rumoured jamming devices.

just google for 868 jammer

• Frequency Blocked: 868MHz +/- 2MHz
  • Power Source: Super Alkaline Battery 12V (1 unit)
  • Operating Area: 25 meters radius
  • Operating Power: 1W
  • Temperature Range: -30C ~ 60C
  • Case Color: white

One watt ( if it is one watt ) ERP will block or seriously disrupt reception far further than 25 metres. One watt ERP at 868 MHz can be received by a basic alarm receiver more than a mile away.

My mate had a wired system, a CCTV system and a dog. Just before Christmas, around 4pm and caught on cctv, a thief entered his back garden and used the washing pole to smash the glass in the French windows. Then, with the alarm screaming, he went inside straight to the bedroom and took all his wife's jewellery and left. He was in the house just over 40 seconds. If they want to get in and just don't give a ****, no alarm in the world is any good. They were just glad he didn't harm or take the dog. He's had the French doors replaced with laminated glass ones and is still considering getting some of those external shutters fitted.

C'mon kids....the OP is asking for help........

OK the Yale ENA Smart alarm was discontinued last year as Yale wanted to use the name "smart alarm" for their new commercial series...The reality is that the ENA series was a grade 2 alarm and I fitted a few of these with little complaint apart from odd software gremlin. The new SR series alarm is a Chinese diy jobby in comparison.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Texecom, Risco or Pyronix.
Always use 2 way if installing wireless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back