Yale Smarthome Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the market for a Wireless alarm with GSM capability. I like the look of the Yale Smarthome alarm and see nothing in the install guide to put me off DIY'ing the install.

Anyone got any war stories of this alarm ? Reviews are limited and supply of the kit (without install) very controlled, which I'm not so keen on. But the spec does look comprehensive.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
OK first things first you I'm assuming you mean the Yale smart alarm ENA-Kit1 or kit 2...........do NOT confuse this with the Yale smartphone alarm which is a DIY gimmick alarm which seems to have taken a lot of flak.

The Smart alarm really is first class and a serious compeditor to the Visonic powermax which is the industry std grade 2 system....

Ive fitted all three alarms this year and can recommend the ENA series or the powermax........BUT leave the smartphone alarm alone!!

Hi, yes I mean the SmartHome alarm, specifically the ENA-KIT2 (with GSM).

Wouldn't touch that smartphone setup with a very long bargepole!

OK thats good...you wont go wrong with system...Yale have big plans for this system.........

Sponsored Links
I believe they will bring out an app....

I was searching their website and found various interesting add ons such as the inline power switch...not used but its a nice feature/add on thats not too expensive unlike visonic.....

Cheers!

Hmmm, down to the Yale Smarthome or Visonic Powermax then I think.

The Visonic has the advantage of being widely available vs the single supplier for the Yale kit.

correct Visonic is widely offered....

BUT the Yale has local UK support whereas there is no tech support for Visonic as they class product as professional install only only......The manual is also terrible for visonic!!

Both are excellent kits and will serve you well....

Hi, haven't seen a thread about those so here's my story:

Got it last year, very freshly when it came out. Didn't fancy paying for the installation as its not complicated at all. All was working perfectly without any issue at all, seriously love that thing, the easy of using NFC tags and sending predefined messages worked a treat.
Stupid me wanted to play with my own exit/entry sounds, so when consulted map-security (who I got the system from ) you need to perform a reset to force the system to reread the mp3 files from the microSD card Since I did that I can't get the SMS arm/disarm working, with the fob I get 'failed to arm' for the first time second time all is fine, no such problems when using the portable keypad..

One thing I noticed, when I call the system it will ask you for the user code, some sort of message that the code has been entered incorrectly several times, no idea how to get rid of that..

Will try another reset later in a week but this is really upsetting..

Would appreciate any comments what to try..

Hmm, sounds very odd. Have you tried asking Map Security again about these problems ?

And, you mentioned NFC tags. I wasn't aware that the system supported NFC tags, do you have any details ? Map don't seem to list them as part of their accessories.

I too was not aware of NFC tags... - I would consult Yale technical directly....

In addition Ive not played with features....just kept the alarm running as a standard system....no problems to-date ( or the customer has no mentioned any)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the confusion, the NFC tags are not part of the system, its just me making my life a bit easier, I'm using predefined txt messages and use NFC tags to execute them so nothing to do with the alarm as such, appologies for the confusion.

If interested can explain in more detail

Didn't speak to map yet, will try the reset and will see what will happen, just delaying the reset as I have quite a few devices that will need to be added into the system so it will require a bit more time, especially the two real sirens, climbing up and down the ladder..

Sorry for the confusion, the NFC tags are not part of the system, its just me making my life a bit easier, I'm using predefined txt messages and use NFC tags to execute them so nothing to do with the alarm as such, appologies for the confusion.

Yes please.

Yes please.

Well, simple, really..

Assuming you have the system setup that you can arm/disarm it with a text message, all I did on my android phone I downloaded application for programming nfc tags (I'm using 'Trigger'but there's more on the google play) and app called 'PreDef' where you can put a text message together for arming and disarming, the 'Trigger' has a function of copying any sequence you do on your phone so just write any cheap tag (I have 10 for £6 from ebay) and write it. I have them sticked them on my door from inside as didn't want it to be visible from outside.
'Trigger' also allows you do things like this without using the tags, you can use connection to your home wifi as a 'action trigger' etc..

Hope that makes sense..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back