Yale Smarthome - arming issue - SOLVED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to setup a Yale Smarthome alarm and have a problem when I arm the system. After the arm countdown sequence has completed then the panel siren sounds and displays a "Person in Room - control unit" message on the display.

Currently I've only got one zone defined on the system, a door contact (which was closed at arming time).

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
OK, an update for anyone else who may have the same issue.

The panel was reporting "Person in room" because I had the "Final Door" option enabled (it is by default) and when I was arming the system during testing I was not exiting the house and triggering the exit door sensor (mag contact with a delay attribute specified). So the system believed that someone was still in the house (correct!).

Either disabling the Final Door option or leaving it enabled but triggering the exit door sensor during the arm countdown sequence allows the system to arm OK.

If you want to use the remote arming capability i.e. via SMS or dial-in then you need to disable "Final Door" as the system will still expect the exit door sensor to be triggered. It won't be as you're arming remotely and so the system will refuse to arm. This does seem like a flaw in the system configuration.

This does seem like a flaw in the system configuration.
And probably a flaw that will be difficult to remove. Being wireless and therefore dependent on batteries in sensors and having to share the wireless channel the control panel cannot be in continuous contact with any sensor. Hence it relies on an event at a sensor to trigger that sensor to send a report to the control panel.

In theory a wireless linked control panel could ask each sensor to report status but this would require receivers in every sensor ( more expensive sensors ) and use more battery power ( shorter battery life or much larger sensors to hold larger batteries )

I don't see it being difficult to resolve. The panel software could just treat a remote "arm" request e.g. from SMS, dial-in as an arm situation where no final door trigger event is required. Just a panel firmware thing.

Sponsored Links
The problem for the panel is that it needs to know if the door is open. It would be rather pointless to allow you to set the alarm with the door open.

I don't follow you.

With two-way panel-sensor comms then at arm time the panel can interrogate all sensors to determine their state. (Edit: sorry, you made this point in your previous reply assuming more capable/expensive sensors)

But that's not the issue I was describing anyway :)

Can't try that now as having other issues with the system, but never had problems as Andy describes here using the fob or sms. I was able to sit next to the panel in my office upstairs and and arm and disarm with the for or sms as much as I liked without triggering any sensor first. And yes the final door option has to be disabled. Will try and have a look again if I mange to help

I wondered what this was all about, then found the original post, oh boy.

It's much easier for everyone to read one post/question/answers than to do it your way :rolleyes:

I wondered what this was all about, then found the original post, oh boy.

It's much easier for everyone to read one post/question/answers than to do it your way :rolleyes:

Thanks for your valued and constructive input.

Can't try that now as having other issues with the system, but never had problems as Andy describes here using the fob or sms. I was able to sit next to the panel in my office upstairs and and arm and disarm with the for or sms as much as I liked without triggering any sensor first. And yes the final door option has to be disabled. Will try and have a look again if I mange to help

If you have final door disabled then you won't have the issue and can arm via fob/SMS. If you enable final door though and arm via SMS then the panel siren will sound and the system won't arm.

Hi andywhit.

I am thinking about the Yale Smart Home Alarm. How have you been getting on with it? Any further impressions? Would you buy it again over the standard Easy Fit kits?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back