Yale HSA 6400 Alarm problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had this installed for a few months now and assumed it was working since originally it went of when I tested the front door. I've since added a sensor to the back door and also a PIR to the conservatory, did the walk test and they both received the signal. I use a key fob to switch on/off the alarm when coming and going and I hear the beeps etc and responses from the alarm box outside i.e. everything has always appeared to be working ok. However, last night (I had it set to home arm) my wife when downstairs and opened the back door and passing by in full view of the PIR and then outside opening a door sensor on the way but not a sound from any of these. Now I'm worried. I know the front door sensors tick down as soon as I open the front door but the back set up appears to be not working. I've never really tested the back devices by opening the door physically so perhaps I;'ll need to do that to see what happens. Might I be missing something about here? I hear the alarm response signals as we go in and out using the keyfob but all this time the back devices must not have been working. Can anybody advise me how best to approach this problem as I don't think it's the alarm signal so much as the actual devices being recognised.

Thank you in anticipation of any help.

Sponsored Links
you have a 6400?

did you learn in your devices to the control panel (not to the siren)?

Why are you using the keyfob and not the buttons on the panel?

you have a 6400?

Yes, I have the 6400. As far as I know I've learned in the devices as I've followed instructions from the manual each time i.e. pressed the buttons on each one and checked control panel and then named them e.d. back door, conservatory so I can go to them under 'devices'. I use the keyfob when coming in and out on Away arm so I tend to use it all the time now. Actually, I've only just started to use Home arm preferring before just to to use Away arm when we're out of the house. One thing I've noticed is when I press the keyfob Home arm symbol I do get the response beeps from both control panel (which says home arm) and outside siren but no countdown ticks which I get when under Away arm.

stevgillamos";p="1724203 said:
you have a 6400?

Thanks for your replies. I've since tried the suspect devices and both appear to work o.k. First I tried them by doing a walk test on the PIR and and opening the door test i.e. the LEDs flashed. I then tried the ultimate test with the door and got my wife to open it whilst it was set in Away Armed mode and sure enough it counted down and then set the alarm off. Which means it is working in Away Armed mode but not in Home Armed mode which is also what it was set to when my wife first wandered outside the first time round. I'm happy to use it when we're in in Away Armed as we'll be in bed anyway and not wandering about. However, it does imply to me that perhaps it's a programming problem on my part with this Home Omit menu or similar not being set up right so it's back to the DVD instruction to see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Sponsored Links
maybe you have got them set up as Home sensors (i.e, they do not set the alarm off if you are in Home mode.

normally you set your PIRs as Home so that you can walk around the house; but not the door sensors

I only have my upstairs sensors set to Home as it protects the ground floor while I am upstairs at night. I have an upstairs panel and a keypad near the front door.

I have a keyfob but don't normally use it (so that any approved person coming into the house can set or unset the system using the code). As the panel is a long way from any door or downstairs window, it is less likely to be attacked during countdown or while it is dialling out (I have two houses at the moment, this is the Yale one I am describing, the other has a Galaxy which is a much better, wired system but I use a similar approach).

Hi,
I think what has happened is you are confused about how the home arm actually works.
It seems to me that since your system works fine in away arm then there is no problem with the system or sensors.

What you have done is not realised how home arming works.

When all your devices are enrolled into the system you can then edit them from the devices menu and give them different attributes.

Lets assume a house with a door contact on the front and back door
two infra red sensors downstairs and one on the upstairs landing.

If you wanted to set up the system so that all the sensors are active when you leave the home but when you go to bed at night downstairs is covered but the upstairs landing isn't allowing you to go to the toilet without setting off the alarm you would designate the landing sensor as 'home omit'

When you set the alarm with the orange home arm button the landing senor designated home omit would not be active. every other sensor wether designated burglar or entry would be active.

Another scenario would be to have all your movement sensors designated as home omit and your door sensors as burglar or entry.
This would mean when you arm with red (away armed) all your sensors would be active but if you home armed with orange then your door contacts would be armed but your movement sensors would not allowing you to move freely within the home.

You have to specifically designate which sensors you wish to be innactive when the system is home armed by designating them as home omit.

If you have all your sensors deignated as home omit then when home armed none of them will be active.

confusing I know.

Yes, thanks for your comments. It seems I've been confused about the Home arming. One thing I wasn't sure about is getting to the Home omit menu as there doesn't seem to be much in the manual about that. I think I've twigged it now though. Will I be able to set each device up and add it/subtract it to the Home Omit menu by going into each individual device itself and from there to the Home Omit menu?

Yes thats exactly it. Go to the devices menu select edit devices and then select the devices you do not wish to be active when you arm the system with the orange button by designating them as home omit.

Sorry to bring this thread up but just found this forum after a google search.

I have the Yale HSA 6400 alarm system, have recently installed it and I too had trouble with the home alarm mode, I have just set my downstairs PIR to burgular and upstairs PIR to home omit, and that works fine.

But was wondering what away entry means ?

Thanks

I have always used the Entry setting.
The away entry I believe won't beep when counting down , ie the panel stays silent when you enter the home even though it is counting down but as I have never used it I could be wrong.

I have always used the Entry setting.
The away entry I believe won't beep when counting down , ie the panel stays silent when you enter the home even though it is counting down but as I have never used it I could be wrong.

Many thanks, I use entry as well, just wondered what away entry means

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back