Yale HSA6000 system won't arm/disarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Suddenly today the siren is not beeping when armed (fob or keypad) or disarmed. There were no warning signs that this was about to happen (e.g. flat battery beeping sounds). It's definitely not working as I did my impression of a burglar entering when 'arm' had been pressed. Could today's heavy rain have anything to do with this? Any troubleshooting tips. The book recommends removing the siren cover to see if it reacts but I'm certain it's not the batteries (replaced a few months ago). Any advice welcome. I can't re-learn anything because ther'es no communication fobs to siren.

Sponsored Links
Most probably a component failure in the siren or a poor contact between battery and the contact in the battery holder.

Another possible reason is interference blocking the signals to the siren. This can happen if you have moved any electrical equipment to a location close to the siren.

Unlikely but not unknown is channel blocking by other licence exempt equipment on the same radio frequency. Have you turned of "jamming detection" ? Yale recommend this if there are too many "false alarms" caused by interference, if it is turned off the siren will not tell you when it is being blocked. Blocking can be "accidently" or intentional.

lift the siren off the wall and bring it inside to tinker.

Obviously start by checking all the batteries. The circuit board is inside a plastic box with sealed lid so unlikely to have got wet, same as the batteries, unless something obstructed the seal. You can reset to factory and re-install all the devices if necessary.

If you decide the siren is at fault you may be able to get a used one on fleabay, they usually last well.

Just noticed that one of the door sensors is flashing wildly. This was triggered on Tuesday (accidentally) and the alarm hasn't armed since then. I was able to cancel it though on that occasion. Could this be the cause? I'll remove it tonight and see if anything happens. Now, if the tamper siren goes off, will I be able to cancel it if I can't communicate via the fobs/pad? Is there a maximum time that the siren will sound? Thanks for the very useful posts so far, by the way; this forum teaches me a lot about how things work.

Sponsored Links
Then quite possible this sensor is transmitting continuously and thus blocking communication to the siren. Remove the battery from the sensor and see if you can arm and dis arm the system.

It won't matter that the sensor is no longer powered, the system does not check to see if all the sensors are still there before it allows itself to be armed.

Thank you - that did the trick! I've fitted a brand new sensor just in case as they are under £20. The chap at the 'shed' said that they don't have many accessories for that basic system as most people have the newer Yale one. What are the advantages if I decide to upgrade? I'm quite happy with the 6000 as it does what I want, but my insurers didn't want to know as it's not wired in.

What are the advantages if I decide to upgrade?
If you upgrade to a wireless system that uses one way communications then the answer is that you will not gain any real advantage, the system can be put out of action by a rogue sensor or by intentional blocking.

but my insurers didn't want to know as it's not wired in
Most insurers will not accept an alarm system unless it is professional installed and maintained. Underwriters will not accept any system that relies on one way wireless communications.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back